Hosting Server Upgrade (COMPLETE)

News, announcements and technical support for the forum. Report any related problem and be sure it is going to be solved :).

Moderator: Moderators

VeskoP

Hosting Server Upgrade (COMPLETE)

The hosting server for the forum will be upgraded to a new and faster one on Sunday, January 30th, 2005, between 4am and 6am GMT (11pm and 1am Eastern Time). You may experience problems accessing the forum in this interval.
Last edited by VeskoP on Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Man exists physically for the sole purpose to develop spiritually" -- let us all really remember this when we think what to do next.
VeskoP

This is to remind you of the upgrade going to take place in several hours. Keep in mind that the upgrade may take longer and may cause the forum to be intermittently inaccessible or to give out errors until the upgrade is finalised.
"Man exists physically for the sole purpose to develop spiritually" -- let us all really remember this when we think what to do next.
Kestrel

Yay, EST thats my time zone. I feel so cared about :)
‘And there we are. When you push away your neighbours, your son or your daughter - if you aren’t always ready to help even those whom you don’t like, you contribute to the disintegration of your civilisation. And this is what is happening on Earth more and more, through hate and violence."
Thao
VeskoP

Thanks for posting, Kestrel. The message hasn't been in vain then ;). It's all over now.
Kestrel

It felt so painless :lol:
‘And there we are. When you push away your neighbours, your son or your daughter - if you aren’t always ready to help even those whom you don’t like, you contribute to the disintegration of your civilisation. And this is what is happening on Earth more and more, through hate and violence."
Thao
VeskoP

Now that's a tricky joke on your part, isn't it? Well, reserving the right for big downtime some other time. ;)
VeskoP

Scheduled maintenance

On June 25, between 2 a.m. and 5 a.m. GMT, the forum website will be moved to a newer and better web server. It should function normally through most of the migration period, with some brief interruptions. The latter are included or not included in a downtime period of up to 15 min. as the address of the new server gets spread across the Internet.
VeskoP

Due to an unexpected problem caused by the service (company) managing the website address (domain), the aforementioned "up to 15 min." downtime" became up to 3 hours. The number of people who had experienced the extended downtime had been minimised due to a corrective action taken by the website host (a different company). I was affected by the problem, noticed the extended downtime before 5 a.m. (the hour was the end of the scheduled maintenance, see my previous post) and waited till that hour before I alerted them. I didn't find it appropriate in the particular situation to raise an emergency before the maintenance period had ended. I learnt later that they had already detected and corrected the problem, but due to the way the Internet works, at the time they detected it, it had only been possible for the extended downtime to be minimised, but not prevented entirely, and they did minimise it. So, without my knowledge, my intervention was not necessary for correcting the problem (which is excellent). However, the situation could have been handled better, because the website host detected the problem a couple of hours before the aforementioned 15 minutes of downtime had elapsed and before the extended downtime had taken place. Had I been informed, I would have posted here so more people could have been informed of the extended downtime. I have asked for and have the assurance of the website host that they would better inform me in the future.

I'd also like to thank our forum member Ptex for sending me an alert email (I could have missed the downtime myself) and for providing exact time and details for the problem he had experienced when accessing the site.

At Ptex's suggestion, I have registered the website at a monitoring service. The particular service is going to test the site every half an hour and report any problems to the forum administration email address.
VeskoP

Please post if you experience any other problems with the forum.