3 Special Places under the Sphinx?

A place to discuss matters of bygone times that are forgotten, but are recovered so that humanity is no longer condemned to repeat history as it so often does.

Moderator: Moderators

According to Michel Desmarquet, underneath the Sphinx is three major chambers that contain major information that will help us technologically. Accessing these chambers is impossible to us right now. Not even explosives would open the chambers.
We cannot have access to the information because it would be like giving a machine gun to a three year old.
Michel won't even divulge what is in there.

Access will be given when we mature as a civilisation. How long that could be - who knows?

I just wonder if anti-gravitation information is in there?
Marcus

Sorry, I didn't log in - the above is my message.
It aint about who you love but do you love?

Michael Franti/Spearhead.
Vesko

Hi Marcus,

I'm very glad to see you here, my friend. You found the forum so quickly without me telling you it's amazing.
I waited for someone else to respond to you first, but I think I ought to say the following anyway. On behalf of and for the benefit of the rest of the forum participants, could I possibly ask you to specify where you got this information from?
I ask, because as time passes, many people could claim Michel had said this and that, when in reality it may not had been so. I know for sure, but mention it for others' consideration, that you realize the responsibility that you have taken for yourself and others by divulging knowledge that Michel did not explicitly write in his book. What you have said is extremely intriguing. You say, in effect, that there is material proof under the sphinx in Egypt for an advanced past civilization, probably the builders of the Gizeh complex, and you also say that Michel was forbidden to reveal anything about this. If you have something to add, please do.
You are aware that Edgar Cayce has spoken of a library chamber under the right paw of the Sphinx, don't you?
Marcus

Vesko,

the information caught me off guard too, I left the post open to provoke discussion.

I got the information from the Thiaoouba Truth Cd's from Michael Meanwells site, http://meanwell.com.au/thiaoouba/page4.html. I have confirmed with Tom Chalko that it is indeed Michel Desmarquet.

The tapes/Cd's were recorded in the late 1990's. Michel explicitly explains that he hasn't revealed anything about the hidden chambers before that particular interview.

All Michel says about the contents is that it would help us technologically, but again it would be terrible for us to have this technology at that time (late 90's). "It would be like giving a machine gun to a child".

He also says that it is impossible for us to access the chamber, even with explosives. I don't quite understand this.

Michel also goes on to say that access will be given when we are spiritually ready. It would also prove Michels book is 100% factual to those who think it is a fairytale.

I would assume that he is referring to the Thiaooubans who will grant permission to the information.

I wasn't aware that Edgar Cayce had mentioned the chamber.

I am also astounded that archeological digs or excavations haven't picked up on this?

The Cd's are pretty good. The chamber information is really the only information that is not in the book.
It aint about who you love but do you love?

Michael Franti/Spearhead.
Manninder Sekhon

Excavations around the sphinx

Anyone wanting to do scientific testing or works around the sphinx and pyramids need permission from the Egyptian government. In the late 1990s I saw a television documentary where a couple of guys, after completing their offical work, started doing seismic tests around the sphinx. They verified that there is a hollow chamber under the right paw of the sphinx. Once the Egyptian government realised what they were doing the scientists were told to leave. Unfortunately I cannot remember the scientists' names, or the name of the documentary. I believe the chamber they detected was only an entrance of some sort. The much larger main chamber(s) was not detectable by their tests.
Vesko

3 chambers under the Sphinx? Hall(s) of Records?

Marcus, thank you very much about the clarification. I have the interviews but due to "transmission" problems I have listened only to part of the first interview. I was struck when Michel Desmarquet asked Michael Meanwell, the interviewer, "Have you been to the zoo?" and then proceeded to explain that the people of Thiaoouba consider us to be on the level of monkeys in the zoo. Quite powerful comparison, and Michel uttered it both directly and gently so it was even more powerful to me.

There are several known archaeological digs and excavations that have picked up on this, mostly due to information given by the same Edgar Cayce about a so-called Hall of Records under the Sphinx. Cayce actually mentions 3 such Halls of Records - one in Atlantis, one in the Yucatan, and one in the Giza area in Egypt under the Sphinx. The first probably has been lost, the second with less probability, and the latter has been surely preserved according to Cayce and Desmarquet. On the other hand, why is Desmarquet talking about 3 chambers under the Egyptian sphinx alone, as you said? Could you confirm whether all three chambers were under the Sphinx, or there are/were three such throughout the entire planet?

As can been seen however (see Lehner's paragraph below), it is not Edgar Cayce who is the primary source of such information - there have been ancient legends in the Giza area as well, much as there are legends and writings mentioning phenomena of the akasic records (psychosphere).

The Hall of Records can't be accessed even with bombs? Robert Doherty's cheesy "Area 51" books series, some of which I have read, has a book that describes an ancient ultra-advanced computer buried in the same place. Perhaps there is some truth in that? But inaccessible even by bombs? After all, if this is material, it can be destroyed by bombs, can't it, but even in that case the knowledge per se won't be accessed, indeed. Perhaps there is indeed some kind of device that keeps all the information in, plausibly, encrypted form there. On the other hand, a computer is not needed to store encrypted information, anything will do unless the amount of information is very huge. Given that even Maya-related scripts have not been deciphered (no equivalent of Rosetta stone found yet), it would be practically impossible to decipher, say, a Maya-Naga script buried in such a chamber and encrypted via an industrial strength algorithm. An unguessable for us decryption key would be needed which could be some very special thing, and given the un-spirituality of our civilization and science, we may never discover it without outside help - and even then, there would be no point as the knowledge would be a veritable weapon in our hands, as you said.

I thank you very much, Marcus, of boldly stating what was practically unknown, I think, to most people like me who have read the book but have not listened to the interviews in full yet.

Guest, Manninder, and all interested in details about related archaeological digs and legends about a secret chamber under the Sphinx beside the Cayce source:

If you haven't already, please read carefully Chapter 9 from Robert Bauval's book Secret chamber at http://web.archive.org/web/200402161514 ... hapt9.html. (Page location is at http://www.archive.org because it is unavailable on Bauval's site as of Feb 25, 2005.)
Don't skip the chapter notes at http://web.archive.org/web/200402161933 ... notes.html.
(Page location is at http://www.archive.org because it is unavailable on Bauval's site as of Feb 25, 2005.)
Both very informative given the dearth of information on this specific topic.
You may need to read it more than once so keep it as a reference.

Especially note the following paragraph from the chapter about the Chamber of Sokar, words of Mark Lehner, a world-renowned Egyptologist. Presently he downplays his involvement at Edgar Cayce's Association for Research and Enlightenment (A.R.E.) research projects, and has proceeded with work in more traditional Egyptology such as the Giza Plateau Mapping Project.
You can visit the online resources of the Oriental Institute at the University of Chicago ( http://oi.uchicago.edu ).
You can read and also hear an interview with him at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/pyramid/ex ... ehner.html .

Here's the paragraph that I think is quite informative from A.Robert Smith, Hugh Lynn Cayce: About my father’s Business, The Donning Company, Virginia Beach 1988, p. 243 that is cited as source 55 in the abovementioned chapter from Bauval's book:
“…Interestingly… some of the tablets, refer to the Sphinx and the Sphinx sanctuary as the ‘chamber of Sokar’… the same god which appears in the secret chamber between the paws of the Sphinx in this tomb painting… (Thothmoses IV) calls the Sphinx the ‘sanctuary of Sokar’… so you have the question: in the minds of the ancient Egyptians who composed this sacred book on the king’s tomb wall –the Book of What is in the Underworld—when they show the secret chamber in the Sphinx in a place called Rostau, which is called the ‘secret place’, and when you think that this place (Giza) was called Rostau, and was also said to be the ‘sanctuary of Sokar’, the god of the secret chamber, did they know, or did they have the idea, that there was a secret chamber under the Sphinx as far back as 1500 BC ? Is the legend, or the mystery, or the myth of the secret chamber under the Sphinx as old as that ? In the tomb paintings, the Sphinx is also called Aker, the guardian of the entrance of the Underworld. Now Aker had his own book called the Book of Aker, and this also appears in some of the tombs of the kings of the New Kingdom down in the Valley of the Kings at Thebes. And the Book of Aker is also very interesting for what the ancient Egyptians may have conceived when they thought of the Sphinx. Because one scene of the Book of Aker shows the Sphinx again in double, but in this case now opened up, and there is a pair of arms lifting the sun out of the body of the Sphinx. The sun, of course, is the symbol of Ra. And on either sides of these pair of arms lifting the sun out of the body of the Sphinx, the gods are lifting up the boats, the sacred boats. It’s a sort of resurrection scene. Everything is opening up from the body of the Sphinx. And that scene is interesting when we compare it with another scene from the Book of Aker. In this scene Aker is shown as a double sphinx but closed up. One paw this way and another paw this way, and two heads. And underneath the Sphinx-Aker there’s a mummy with a white head-dress and a white beard, and there are rays of energy going down from the body of the Sphinx down to this mummy. And the texts identify this mummy as the ‘body of Osiris’ or, in other versions, the ‘body of Ra’ that is hidden under the Sphinx-Aker. And yet another scene of the Book of Aker shows Aker again in double, as a double Sphinx, and on either sides, from the paw, emerges the gods… Well you see the myth, this is all myth, legend. But in this case when we talk about Rostau, when we talk about the Book of Aker, the legends from ancient Egypt from 1500 BC, and the Edgar Cayce readings start to interface. Of course the Egyptologists and the experts will say you’re stretching things a bit; they will say that these texts are mythological, only symbolic of the death process, they’re funerary works. They would charge that we are stretching things a bit when we see in these texts literal references to secret chambers under the Sphinx. But the interface between these ideas, these paintings and the Edgar Cayce readings is very strong. There are other little clues that makes one wonder. For example in the tablets that Selim Hassan found left by the pilgrims. They often show the worshipper standing in front of the Sphinx, in front of a depiction of the Sphinx of Giza here, and there are some 60 of these tablets found. And the majority show the Sphinx standing on a high pedestal with a door at the bottom. Just as the Thothmoses stela here (Lehner is sitting between the paws of the Sphinx) where the Sphinx is sitting on top of a pedestal with a door at the bottom. This prompted early Egyptologists in the 1800s to probe the Sphinx to find the pedestal and the door underneath. So you see that it’s possible that a secret chamber under the Sphinx, or a door under the Sphinx has gone back from the present day, through the Egyptologists of the 1800s… in the Greek period it was believed there was a tomb of a certain king here… the idea goes back, perhaps, to the New Kingdom Egyptians of 1500 BC…”
So, while Edgar Cayce lent force to the idea and memories of a Hall or Halls of Records, there is a much older source in the form of myths and legends.

There is very scant information available online with any details not mentioned in the above paragraph and in Bauval's book. His book is up-to-date (as of the end of year 2000). I urge everyone to search the discussions on USENET ( http://groups.google.com ) related to the topic of the secret chamber/Hall of Records, and all related specific terms; I have not done it thoroughly myself yet. For those who do not know, those discussions are NOT searched when you search through the main Google page, but they contain currently 845,000,000 discussions since the mid-1980's (garbage included). For example, "chamber of Sokar" is nowhere mentioned on USENET, but has currently 4 hits on the main web ( http://www.google.com ); on the other hand there has been much more USENET discussion about the body of Osiris, for instance.
Vesko

Re: Excavations around the sphinx

Manninder Sekhon wrote:Anyone wanting to do scientific testing or works around the sphinx and pyramids need permission from the Egyptian government. In the late 1990s I saw a television documentary where a couple of guys, after completing their offical work, started doing seismic tests around the sphinx. They verified that there is a hollow chamber under the right paw of the sphinx. Once the Egyptian government realised what they were doing the scientists were told to leave. Unfortunately I cannot remember the scientists' names, or the name of the documentary. I believe the chamber they detected was only an entrance of some sort. The much larger main chamber(s) was not detectable by their tests.
It would be good to remember what documentary is this in order to be able to match it against the chronology described in Bauval's chapter 9 I mentioned in the previous post.

There was a recent (as of April 1, 2004) phone interview with John Anthony West, a close friend of Robert Bauval and of re-dating the Sphinx fame in the early nineties together with Robert Schoch, the latter being the geologist who did the actual dating work. The interview was available at YOWUSA.COM (a site with otherwise mostly cheesy content, but worth monitoring) but is now available to paid members only. Luckily I recorded the interview, or so I think. I still have to listen to it but I think it mentioned the recent probable discovery of something under the left paw of the Sphinx, as well as discussed a variety of first-hand data about the monuments at Giza.

I think it would be valuable for others to hear the interview, so I guess I should upload it here.

Anyway, discoveries such as the one you mention are described to be inconclusive, or at least the public is informed of inconclusive results. When will that change? Or has it already?
In any case, what you say that a chamber was discovered under the right paw is exactly in line with Cayce.
Cayce never said that the library per se is located under the right paw, only that under the right paw there is an entrance to a pathway leading to the library. Based on rumours and published work, nobody has investigated the area under the Sphinx's head and torso. Or perhaps the library is even under the Great Pyramid? But as you can read about, the legends depict the sphinx with a pedestal and a secret chamber of Sokar beneath it, guarded so that even the later god Osiris couldn't access it.

All this is very interesting, and the implications are mind-boggling. Now I understand better why I liked the Indiana Jones series of films - certainly not for the action. But I think you would agree that the above dwarfs the plots in those films. Reality is stranger than fiction.
Vesko

Re: 3 chambers under the Sphinx? Hall(s) of Records?

Marcus Collins wrote:According to Michel Desmarquet, underneath the Sphinx is three major chambers that contain major information that will help us technologically. Accessing these chambers is impossible to us right now. Not even explosives would open the chambers.
We cannot have access to the information because it would be like giving a machine gun to a three year old.
Michel won't even divulge what is in there.

Access will be given when we mature as a civilisation. How long that could be - who knows?
I finally listened to the interview discussing the 3 special places under the Sphinx, as Michel names them.

I discovered a curious detail in this precise snippet of Michel Desmarquet's words in that interview:
Under the Sphinx ... it is a special place, actually, it is three special place[s], and one of those place[s], well, it's very difficult to open it if you don't have the secret to open that, you can't do it ... impossible...
Michel continues by indeed saying that the information in all three is presently dangerous to our so-called civilization.
Hmmm. Only one of the places impossible to open? But the info in all three dangerous?
Marcus Collins wrote:I just wonder if anti-gravitation information is in there?
Certainly, I think. Whatever lies beneath, it ought to include the technique of construction given that the information is protected so well to be guaranteed to fall only in the right hands.
Vesko

The information in a very recent 1-hour interview with Egyptologist John Anthony West (http://www.yowusa.com, April 1, 2004) is a very good update regarding hidden chambers under the sphinx in Egypt and the true age of the Sphinx. Two chambers under the sphinx are mentioned by John Anthony West, which were discovered in 1990 by a research team he was part of, using a seismograph. According to the interviewer, J.A. West is "the only Egyptologist to come forward with concrete absolute proof that there is a chamber under the left paw."
West says:
"Something is there. The seismographs do not channel and they don't dream and they are not psychic. The seismograph says that there's a big chamber more or less rectangular in shape under about 15 feet of bedrock, the whole thing is about, it's about 12 by 15 meters ... the seismograph says it's there, and the authorities refused to believe that it really is there, but the seismograph also found a chamber behind the Sphinx, and everyone knows that that is there, so it looks the same on the radar..."
Further:
"There's no hope of looking into this until several other preliminary stages have been passed", because "that's a lot of digging" and the Egyptians are very sensitive to such intrusions into their culture. There are authorities and other scientists to persuade. That is why West's current efforts are to make his and Robert Schoch's re-dating of the Sphinx (done also in 1990) more known and accepted by Egyptologists and geologists.
Also, he says that the second "substantial chamber" (at the back of the Sphinx) that "everyone knows that that is there" is "close to the surface", can be descended into easily with a rope ladder and has a "rough-cut passage, I think probably ... cut in there by tomb robbers looking for something..." "You just pull away a block, that's not even a hidden block, behind the Sphinx, and you get down into this chamber and that shows up on our seismograph same as the other one does, I mean, loud and clear, and that's there, so this is telling you that the other thing is also not a fantasy." The interviewer asks whether West has gone down in that chamber, and the answer is "yes" along with other details, one of them West being sure that the chamber is "not a natural formation." Moreover, West says that working with a seismograph is time consuming and the team was constantly harassed by the Egyptian authorities so they did not have enough time to discover any passageways to the chamber under the left paw. And the team did not really know that the chamber was there until after some time, because the readings took time to decipher.

The latest information about the re-dating of the Sphinx can be found in the appendix of the recently published (2003) book "Voyages of the Pyramid Builders" by Robert M. Schoch.
Regarding the abovementioned book, I'm halfway through it and so far it gives a lot of details on the various types of pyramids in the world and associated human culture. The book contains Schoch's explanation of his research pointing to the existence of an ancient pyramid-building civilization whose knowledge was imported into Sumeria, Mesopotamia, Egypt, China and Peru. He also thinks that the pyramids point to unity and were built to reach the sky, a source of disasters, in an attempt to unravel its mystery.
My personal recording of the entire interview is in the open OGG Vorbis audio format.
You can find the 13.5 MB audio file here.
This file is currently not available because it is copyrighted, but may be made available later after negotiation with YOWUSA.
The interview is also downloadable from YOWUSA's web site if you are a subscriber; I am not.
J.A.West's site is http://www.jawest.net.
Vesko

In the beginning of 2003, I sent an email to John Anthony West informing him of a book by the name of "Thiaoouba Prophecy" by Michel Desmarquet. I tried to excite his curiosity by mentioning it has got important information about Egypt and who built the pyramids. Now I think I understand better why I have not got a reply from him. In the above interview, he says that "there are enough pieces, so that you definitely know there's a big picture that we don't have... there aren't enough pieces, I don't think, for anyone to come up with a coherent picture."

My open question to him: How is the book "Thiaoouba Prophecy" incoherent?

Who can make the Meanwell CD's available as mid-quality mp3's? Vesko already did make a page where you can obtain Robert Bruce interviews to listen to them, perhaps there is one for the Thiaoouba interviews too?

Greetings
Vesko

Hello Guest,

I really wish I could do that. I have the 209 MB MP3s that I bought from Michael Meanwell, but unfortunately I'm not allowed to distribute them online or offline. We have the interviews with Robert Bruce only because I've got personal permission from Robert to distribute them freely, as long as the archive site is separate from his site, the Astral Pulse, but still there are topics about it on the Astral Pulse pointing to the interview archive. There have been quite a few people that have downloaded those interviews for the past 2.5 years.

Now, Michael Meanwell who is the maker of Michel's interviews does not distribute them for free, but he has freely downloadable excerpts from them on his site. This is his choice, and we have to respect it. If you want, you could ask him to release them. Or we may collectively ask him, but in my opinion, we would have to have more members who require it, as well as more members in total on this forum. My personal opinion is that eventually Meanwell will release them for free. He recently told me something that I can freely share: he has some more of the interviews that he may prepare, but I don't know if he'll decide to give them for free or not.

But you can still listen to parts of the interviews. Meanwell has kindly released so far 17 minutes of the interviews, which you can listen to at http://www.meanwell.com.au/thiaoouba/page5.html.
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Kestrel

Vesko,

I was looking at a picture of the sphinx. I saw it and to me it kind of resembles a testiment to knowelge and guardianship, as if it stands guard simply waiting for that moment to be right. I dont know if that sounds odd but it stuck me when I was looking at a picture of how it would look with out all of the wear on it.
Vesko

Kestrel,

Now that you've noticed it, I can say that I feel in the same way about it.
Note that the sphinx probably had a different head. The current head is out of proportion with the body, and as such was probably chiseled to resemble a pharaoh. It is thought that if that is true, it was a lion's head.
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Vesko

Two valuable quotes regarding "The Chamber":

From the book "The Atlantis Blueprint" by Rand Flem-Ath and Collin Wilson (http://www.flem-ath.com/thoth1.htm):
One of Rand's major aims, in trying to understand the hidden geometry of the Giza site, was to try to locate this 'secret chamber'. The notion seems to have originated in a document called the Westcar Papyrus, now in the Berlin Museum, which seems to be a New Kingdom copy of a Fifth Dynasty original (soon after the time of Cheops, or Khufu). It tells how Cheops asked a magician named Djedi th number (or precise location) of Thoth's secret chamber, and was told that it could be found in a flint chest in a building called the Inventory. But no one, Djedi added, would be able to obtain the number until the coming of three kings as yet unborn... The papyrus breaks off at this point.
All our researches have led us to believe that ancient Egypt preserved the legacy of an earlier civilisation, perhaps of more than one, and that contemporary science is inclinded to greatly underestimate the intelligence of the people of the remote past. It was, at least, plausible that there was a hidden cache of knowledge inside or around the Great Pyramid. The Byzantine historian George Syncellus in the ninth century AD wrote a commentary that included a reference to a lost Egyptian text called "The Book of Sothis", which was circulating in the third century BC. This lost book, according to Syncellus, contained important 'records' brought to Egypt immediately 'after the flood'.
"Robert Bauval, in 'Secret Chamber', unearths another clue in a tract called the 'Kore Kosmou', from the famous 'Hermetic Writings' attributed to Hermes Trismegistos (or Thoth), of which the most famous sentence is 'As above, so below.' Scholars had inclined to dismiss these writings as Neoplatonist texts written by Greeks in the third century AD, but more recently it has been widely accepted that they date back to early Ptolemaic times in Egypt (i.e., from 323 BC onwards). In the 'Kore Kosmou', Isis tells her son Horus that the secret knowledge of Hermes was engraved on stone and hidden away 'near the secrets of Osiris.' She also declares that a spell has been cast on these books, to ensure that they remain unseen. The fourth-century Roman historian Ammianus Marcellinus also writes of 'subterranean passages and winding retreats' built by men before the flood to house documents, 'lest the memory of all their sacred ceremonies should be lost'."
From "Heaven's Mirror" by Graham Hancock (http://www.grahamhancock.com/library/hm/c4-4.htm):
"A quest, then, appears to have been envisaged for these stone tablets, or "books", of Thoth/Hermes. Indeed the Corpus Hermeticum leaves us in no doubt about this matter, telling us that the wisdom god used magic to postpone for as long as possible the rediscovery of his treasures of knowledge:
'Ye holy books ... which have been anointed with the drug of imperish-ability ... remain ye undecaying through all ages, and be ye unseen and undiscovered by all men who shall go to and fro on the plains of this land, until the time when Heaven, grown old, shall beget organisms worthy of you.'
Walter Scott, the translator of this passage into English, appends the following explanatory note concerning the term "organisms": "Literally 'composite things'; that is, men composed of soul and body. After long ages there will be born men that are worthy to read the books of Hermes."
The urge to read them must be very old because it can be traced back deep into ancient Egyptian times, long before the compilation of the 'Corpus Hermeticum'. For example, a papyrus of the Ptolemaic period preserves the story of a certain Setnau-Khaem-Uast, a son of Rameses II (ruled 1290–1224 BC), who sought for a "book written by Thoth himself". Information had come Setnau's way, as a result of diligent research, that this book - which was said to contain a spell capable of granting immortality - lay concealed in an antique tomb in the Memphite necropolis (an extensive burial area stretching for some 35 kilometres along the west bank of the Nile from Meidum to Giza):
'Setnau went there with his brother and passed three days and nights seeking for the tomb ... and on the third day they found it. Setnau recited some words over it, and the earth opened and they went down to the place where the book was. When the two brothers came into the tomb they found it to be brilliantly lit up by the light which came forth from the book.'
Another papyrus, this time from the Middle Kingdom (the Westcar Papyrus, circa 1650 BC), preserves an even older story from the time of Khufu (ruled 2551–2528 BC), the supposed builder of the Great Pyramid of Giza. The papyrus speaks of a "building called 'Inventory'", located at the sacred city of Heliopolis (18 kilometres north-east of Giza), in which was stored "a chest of flint" containing a mysterious object that Khufu is reported to have "spent much time searching for". The context suggests it could have been a document of some kind because it recorded the "number of the secret chambers of the sanctuary of Thoth".
It is generally agreed that the Westcar Papyrus reports - or at any rate touches upon - real events. According to Professor I. E. S. Edwards it contains a "kernel of truth" and "was certainly a copy of an older document". Edwards further points out that Heliopolis, the site of the "Inventory Building", had been a centre of astronomical and astrological science in Egypt since times immemorial and that the title of the high priest of that city was "Chief of the Astronomers".
The Egyptologist F. W. Green expresses the opinion that the "Inventory building" could well have been a "chart room" at Heliopolis "or perhaps a 'drawing room' where plans were made and stored". Similarly, Sir Alan H. Gardner argues that "the room in question must have been an archive" and that Khufu "was seeking for details concerning the secret chambers of the primeval sanctuary of Thoth".
The central image of the Westcar Papyrus of some great secret of Thoth lying sealed away in a box is repeated in another text which tells how the wisdom god had deposited one of his books "in an iron box in the middle of the Nile at Coptos" (an ancient site some kilometres to the north of Luxor):
'The iron box is in a bronze box, the bronze box is in a box of palm-tree wood, the palm-tree wood box is in a box of ebony and ivory, the ebony and ivory box is in a silver box, the silver box is in a gold box ... The box wherein is the book is surrounded by swarms of serpents and scorpions and reptiles of all kinds, and round it is coiled a serpent which cannot die.'
Last but not least amongst many similar sources that we could cite, there is a Coffin Text, circa 1900 BC, that speaks of the journey of the soul towards immortality. "I open the chest of Thoth", states the deceased, "I break the seal ... I open what the boxes of the god contain, I lift out the documents ..."