"Drugs" or "No Drugs"?

General discussion about the two books by Michel Desmarquet. Please ONLY post questions that do not fit in any of the available specialized forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Do you think that yogis who take hallucinogenic drugs and claim to have become enlightened are really "enlightened"?

Yes
6%
No
88%
Not Sure
6%

Total votes: 17

Alisima

yothu wrote:Isn't this an argument between people who take drugs or have taken them and people that do not want to take them? Where does it lead?
Hopefully to a mutual understanding about the usage of drugs.
yothu wrote:If we refer to the book it states that "media and drugs" are a major CURSE on earth. It clearly states that there is DANGER involved in taking drugs.
Yes, taking drugs is indeed dangerous.
yothu wrote:I don't see any reason why to take them and/or find reasons to take them.
Well, some people don't understand why other people believe in God. It is hard to place yourself in other people's shoes. However, I can understand why someone would, in a very harsh and terrible life, take drugs.
yothu wrote:Don't things that do not exist come from your imagination?
Yes, that seems locigal. On the other hand, do even fully understand what imagination is?? If you do, please tell me.
Don't read my signature.
Yothu

You're right. It's hard to place yourself in somebody else's shoes. Size differs. Some are smaller, some are bigger. There is a story in which people want to exchange their suffering. They all put it in bags and each one grabs an other bag. They end up all with wanting their own bag back.

Of course I do not know what exactly my imagination is. I shouldn't have criticised.
Do you take my apology?
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got.
Alisima

Yes, although I don't see any reason to apologies.

Just when I read your reply I thought of something I read in a buddhist meditation book. It was about silencing your mind. It said that when the mind wanders off, it is so because it is ignorant. Perhapse that is where imagination begins, when you are being ignorant.
Don't read my signature.
Vesko

Do you think that yogis who take hallucinogenic drugs and claim to have become enlightened are really "enlightened"?
A resounding no! Refer to "Living with the Himalayan Masters" by Swami Rama, the chapter called "Soma." He gives his opinion and his teachers'. From memory and summarily, no real yogi uses hallucinogenic drugs, because even when those help for attaining a certain state, there are accompanying unwanted side-effects caused by them, that outweigh any benefit.
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?