Monitoring Natural Disasters and Pollution Levels

Discussion on preserving Nature: preventing the pollution, destruction and disbalancing of the finely-tuned natural ecosystems on our planet.

Moderator: Moderators

Robanan

Dear "Not a Lemming",

I did read your post, I thank you for having dedicated so much of your time for commenting those "10 MYTHS about Global Warming" that I posted on this forum.

I personally consider the Hydrogen engine and the promising fuel cell technology to be the best option as I am adressing the issue regarding the pollution created from fossile fuel burning engines. I understand that there is much more to such issues as "Global Warming" than just the human contribution in polluting the environment.

My view is that the effect of "Natural processes" such as global warming can be intensified as the parameters of the numerous elements that are involved in such processes, change. Man made air polluters change the properties of the atmosphere, I have no doubt of this. Accordingly it would be simply naive to ignore such a fact as we are preparing to witness how is it like to experience the peak of a "Global Warming". So far my intellect has the capability to understand that there is a (relatively high) possibility that the intensification of certain natural plantary processes can lead to extremely catastrophic results for us.

Alisima wrote that such things happen on other planets too, I don't think that it's a coincidence. Such observations may help our sincere experts to understand the magnitude of the upcoming events.

P.S. The quote is not mine. I don't know who is the author.
The essence of Consciousness, is the ability to Create, Process, Transmit and Receive Information Autonomously.
Not A Lemming

Actually it would probably have a cooling effect….

InfoSource wrote:Well with volcanic activity on the increase around the world I would expect some of those super volcanoes like the one in Yellowstone Park, USA to explode that would greatly accelerate global warming

http://www.solcomhouse.com/yellowstone.htm

The future dosen't look bright from the latest news I've been reading

Actually it would probably have a cooling effect….

rather than a warming effect on the Earth, at least in some places. How large of an area this will be depends on the weather systems at the time of the eruption and there after. They estimate that it will send magma possible as high as three miles into the atmosphere. An eruption of that size is going to effect global climate in two ways. Yes it will emit a substantial amount of green house gases, but also, and possible more important will be how much ash cloud will come from it. Given the right weather systems at the time, the ash cloud could block out the sun for the majority of the planet. It only takes about a 7-degree drop in atmospheric temperature to send us into a nuclear winter or mini ice age.

Disclaimer:
The handle I’ve chosen is a reflection on myself and is in no way meant to offend anyone on this site. I’m a firm believer in researching all sides before I form an opinion, so I don’t follow anyone over the cliff. If you are offended by my handle, then I suggest you look inward as to the reason why.
VeskoP

"Not a Lemming", I think you have a good alias and I see you mean no disrespect to lemmings. May I ask you to register? Registering does not have to reveal your real identity.
If you haven't noticed, we have already blocked guest postings on some forums, and now I have blocked them on all forums. Currently, there is a lot of spam that abuses open forums. The forum registration requires visual recognition so it is protected against spam bots.
"Man exists physically for the sole purpose to develop spiritually" -- let us all really remember this when we think what to do next.
American213

I am a bit confused by this guy... (NOT A LEMMING - )

"Before anyone decides to label me an anti environmentalist let me give you a little background on myself. I’m an avid camper, armature geologist (still learning), rock hound who loves and respects the great outdoors. I’m also a Boy Scout leader and as such I teach young men respect the great outdoors and how to survive in it. I don’t give money to groups like the Serria Club, instead I go out and get my hands dirty and do the work myself, and I’m a firm believer in protecting our environment and conserving our natural resources, but I also believe that this can be done in balance."

As far as I know, nobody has attacked you for being an anti-environmentalist on the thread, this was your conscience reacting. What I did find to be disturbing was the hostile tone in which you used to express an OPINION or was it a (social and ecological self-redemption) with what could have been just as easily obtained in "3" simple words.. ( I simply disagree) Please, save the Jerry Mcguire speech next time. "Help me help you "

I’m not sure why Americans are so disproportionately desperate to convince the rest of the world of its eco-friendliness while at the same-time making a conscience decision to defend their RIGHT to drive huge SUV's, invade foreign countries and pretend Global Warming is a myth. No, I wonder if Mr. Lemmings conservative position will ever acknowledge the interiority and aloofness his argument entails.

Advice for the amature geologist ~

“Oh Andy loved Geology, I guess it appealed to his meticulous nature, an ice age here, million years of mountain building there, geology is the study of pressure and time. That's all it takes really, pressure, and time ~ SK
American
Ms.Swan

To American 213

I don't understand your confusion.

A reasonable being could read some hostility into your reply to Not a Lemming. Afterall, it is you attempting to censor another person's very thoughts. It is you attempting to dictate how one should disagree with another.

However, I must admit I am truly amazed at your ability to determine Not a Lemming's vehicle type, politcal leanings , country of origin and seemingly Not a Lemming's thoughts.

So I was wondering if you might share the source of this ability.

Are you an omniscient being?

Do you believe you have personal knowledge as to the actual non-virtual identity of Not a Lemming?

Perhaps you were able to rescue the Palantir of Orthanc after the fall of Saruman?

Personally, I can not determine all that you have of Not A Lemming from a few hundred words on a single subject. People are such multi-facted beings that branding anyone based on such a limited perception as a single post in a forum such as this is potentially bordering on ludicrous.

"More appealing than knowledge itself is the feeling of knowledge."
~ Daniel J. Boorstin
Robanan

It is of my greatest intrest to find a common language and to clear misunderstandings with people like "Not a Lemming" who tend to thorough and careful analysis of information and care about not swallowing everything that is thrown at them.

As I was reading through Not a Lemming's post I understood that indeed the article that I posted doesn't fully represent my personal point of view about "Global Warming". "Not a Lemming" made some mistakes in his deductions about what I know and what I don't know naturally, I didn't detect anything hostile in his language, it is obvious that "Not a Lemming" Knows what is he talking about and that is due to some level of knowledge and understanding that he has gathered -I believe as he says- by going out and getting his hands dirty :) This indeed is to be most respected. :!:

Not a Lemming wrote:"Before anyone decides to label me an anti environmentalist let me give you a little background on myself. I’m an avid camper, armature geologist (still learning), rock hound who loves and respects the great outdoors. I’m also a Boy Scout leader and as such I teach young men respect the great outdoors and how to survive in it. I don’t give money to groups like the Serria Club, instead I go out and get my hands dirty and do the work myself, and I’m a firm believer in protecting our environment and conserving our natural resources, but I also believe that this can be done in balance."
American213 wrote:I am a bit confused by this guy... (NOT A LEMMING - )
He made his intentions clear to me, even though he should have known better, that most of the people on this forum (up to this date) are not of the type who would label people and frame them out of the discussions without well established reasons and efforts toward the clarification of misunderstandings.
Ms. Swan wrote:A reasonable being could read some hostility into your reply to Not a Lemming. Afterall, it is you attempting to censor another person's very thoughts. It is you attempting to dictate how one should disagree with another.
How can this help us resolve any problem at all?
The essence of Consciousness, is the ability to Create, Process, Transmit and Receive Information Autonomously.
Not a Lemming

Dear Confused

American213 wrote:I am a bit confused by this guy... (NOT A LEMMING - )

"Before anyone decides to label me an anti environmentalist let me give you a little background on myself. I’m an avid camper, armature geologist (still learning), rock hound who loves and respects the great outdoors. I’m also a Boy Scout leader and as such I teach young men respect the great outdoors and how to survive in it. I don’t give money to groups like the Serria Club, instead I go out and get my hands dirty and do the work myself, and I’m a firm believer in protecting our environment and conserving our natural resources, but I also believe that this can be done in balance."

As far as I know, nobody has attacked you for being an anti-environmentalist on the thread, this was your conscience reacting. What I did find to be disturbing was the hostile tone in which you used to express an OPINION or was it a (social and ecological self-redemption) with what could have been just as easily obtained in "3" simple words.. ( I simply disagree) Please, save the Jerry Mcguire speech next time. "Help me help you "

I’m not sure why Americans are so disproportionately desperate to convince the rest of the world of its eco-friendliness while at the same-time making a conscience decision to defend their RIGHT to drive huge SUV's, invade foreign countries and pretend Global Warming is a myth. No, I wonder if Mr. Lemmings conservative position will ever acknowledge the interiority and aloofness his argument entails.

Advice for the amature geologist ~

“Oh Andy loved Geology, I guess it appealed to his meticulous nature, an ice age here, million years of mountain building there, geology is the study of pressure and time. That's all it takes really, pressure, and time ~ SK

What’s so confusing? Personally I thought my statement was rather straightforward and self-explanatory, but since you’re confused maybe a little explanation on my part can clear this up for you. In a forum such as this I find it helpful to the discussion if I give a little background on myself as to avoid being labeled things that I am not. Personally I try to avoid labels because they usually end with a whole lot of name calling, which I find to be counterproductive to the discussion at hand.

You said:

“As far as I know, nobody has attacked you for being an anti-environmentalist on the thread,”

Well as far as I know I never claimed that anyone has attacked me. In fact, being that this was my first post in this forum, why would I claim that anyone here has ever attacked me for anything? I’m curious as to why you would even make that statement considering the fact that I began my statement with the words “"Before anyone decides to label me an anti environmentalist”.

You go on to say:

“this was your conscience reacting.”

I suppose I could go into a long explanation on how I don’t believe that you could possibly know for a fact what my conscience is telling me, but instead I think I’ll just take your advise and respond with “I simply disagree”.

The rest of your statement has me a bit confused:

“What I did find to be disturbing was the hostile tone in which you used to express an OPINION or was it a (social and ecological self-redemption) with what could have been just as easily obtained in "3" simple words.. ( I simply disagree) Please, save the Jerry Mcguire speech next time. "Help me help you "”

If you took any of my post as being hostile, then I’d have to say that you are reading more into it than I had intended. I can’t argue with the fact that I could have just expressed my opinion as “I simply disagree”, but then again so could you have said, “I simply disagree” in reply to my post. I suspect that you didn’t answer in that manner, because like me, I suspect that you know that replying, “I simply disagree”, isn’t the same as expressing your opinions as to why you disagree. As far as the Jerry McGuire reference goes I fail to see the relevance, but then again I didn’t see the movie so maybe you can explain it to me.

Your last statement is nothing more than labeling, stereotyping and broad generalizations that have nothing to do with me, or anything that I have said, so I have no response to give. Nor will I have any responses to any of your posts, or anyone else’s posts that are of similar kind in the future. I didn’t come to this site to engage in petty bickering or to start fights with anyone, and I certainly don’t want to spend the limited computer time that I have defending myself against baseless and false accusations that may be thrown my way.

Aside from being on different sides of the fence on global warming, it seems to me that we are of a different mindset when it comes to simple discourse on a message board. On the one hand I welcome others opinions and their constructive criticisms of my opinions. Information is power, so I absorb it anywhere I can. The last thing I want to encounter on a message board is censorship being thrust upon me in the manner of being instructed on how or what to post.

On the other hand from reading your response to my post, it appears to me that you really aren’t interested in others opinions if they are contrary to yours. I may be wrong in my assumption since I’m basing this opinion solely on one response from you, but in that response you made it very clear that you were not interested in my opinion at all, and to me that’s just another form of censorship, self-censorship. Don’t get me wrong, I doesn’t matter to me whether, you want to read my opinion or not , because in the end it really has no bearing on my information intake at all.

One last thing; your little bit of “advice” in the form of a quote:

““Oh Andy loved Geology, I guess it appealed to his meticulous nature, an ice age here, million years of mountain building there, geology is the study of pressure and time. That's all it takes really, pressure, and time ~ SK”

Just exactly what is your advice, that studying geology is a waste of time?

I’ve noticed that quotes are in abundance on this site, so I thought I’d share a few of my favorites on the topics of facts, truth and opinions.

“If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.”
Albert Einstein

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”
Aldous Huxley

“Where facts are few, experts are many.”
Donald R. Gannon

“Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.”
Mark Twain

“Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.”
Andre Gide

“All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.”
Galileo Galilei

“Say not, 'I have found the truth,' but rather, 'I have found a truth.'”
Kahlil Gibran

“The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.”
Niels Bohr

“The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and content with your knowledge.”
“Elbert Hubbard”

“It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!”
Friedrich Nietzsche

“Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if it IS wrong.”
Unknown

“Opinions are like A-holes, everybody has one, and if you don’t like mine, then you can kiss mine.”
Unknown

Thanks for taking the time to read my reply. I hope this clears up any confusion that you may have, and here’s looking forward to any discussions we may have in the future.

N.A.L
Robanan

Massive landslide in Philippines:
-1400 victims, ABC;
-1800 victims, BBC;
Robanan

Vesko

Thanks for the link. Here are some other useful links: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_earthquakes.

Nothing major (in terms of casualties) this year, yet...
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
survivor

Last night (2nd march) the 'late news' mentioned Brisbane are expected to face strong winds and heavy rain (nothing unusual for Brisbane) but they named this a "superstorm". media hype? time will tell.
survivor

earthquake

march 11, 2006

New Zealand (no reports of injuries)

A series of four quakes ranging from 3.8 to 4.5 rocked Wanganui on the west coast of the North Island over an eight-hour period.
survivor

March 20, 2006

Cyclone 'Larry' (cat 4) sweeps across N.E QLD (Australia, Innisfail)
-winds measured @ 240 kph
-plenty of havoc
-no reports of casualties (to date)
Robanan

Category 5 Cyclone Slams Australia
As reports flooded in about extensive damage across the northeastern coast, government and emergency officials were meeting Monday in Canberra to discuss sending troops to help clean up the cyclone-stricken area.

"If any military assets are needed, they will be made available," Prime Minister John Howard said.

Howard said he was confident the cyclone would not result in the chaos seen in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

The storm has already devastated the region's multimillion-dollar banana and sugar farming industry, said George Pervan, deputy mayor of Johnstone Shire Council.

"The crops are all gone, bananas are all flattened, cane's flattened. It'll kill us for 12 or 18 months," Pervan said.

Up to 50,000 homes in the region were without power, and were expected to remain without electricity for several days, said Gaylene Whenmouth, a spokeswoman for Ergon Energy Cairns.
Robanan