Monitoring Natural Disasters and Pollution Levels

Discussion on preserving Nature: preventing the pollution, destruction and disbalancing of the finely-tuned natural ecosystems on our planet.

Moderator: Moderators

survivor

Southern parts of Australia have recorded it's driest winter since 1900.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/20 ... 730852.htm
an act against {free will} is an act against nature
Leo

it looks like Tom's theory was right again... after every nuclear test, an earthquake occure soon after. N. Korea supposedly tested a nuclear device, and now Hawaii gets a 6.6 earthquake. :cry:
They have eyes, but they do not see - ears, but they do not hear...
ptex

Leo wrote:it looks like Tom's theory was right again... after every nuclear test, an earthquake occure soon after. N. Korea supposedly tested a nuclear device, and now Hawaii gets a 6.6 earthquake. :cry:
A 6.6 earthquake is not such an unusual seismic event.

If you check: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/rec ... es_big.php you'll see seismic phenomena above the 6.0 scale everyday. So if Tom's theory is correct we haven't seen yet seismic activity of the magnitude he refers to. Maybe the nuclear blast was not of a very high intensity and (hopefully) we won't see any big repercussions at all.
The best portion of a good man's life is his little nameless unremembered acts of kindness and love.
~William Wordsworth
bomohwkl

We seem to obtain information of what seems to fit into our perception and understanding. There is yet no proof of Tom's hypothesis, no matter how beautiful and elegant is the hypothesis.
M, superstring and those interesting grand unified theories are very elegant mathematically yet are those 'theories' correct? I need some verifications with the real world.
A glimpse of web of science , I find no papers on the study nuclear explosion induced earthquake.
Rezo

wait a sec -- isnt this in the postscript of the book? Michel talks about undersea nuclear tests, then earthquakes afterward. Was this information he got, as a part of the postscript, from the Aliens, or from Tom [or his own knowledge]?

Me I think its entirely plausible that this is what happened in hawaii, but unfortunately I dont really understand what is the particular link between nuclear tests to earthquakes, if I did then I could say 'this particular earthquake is b/c of the nuke tests.' Maybe the resulting earthquake [assuming its from a test, any such test] has certain properties that are unique but not immediately obvious. I tend to suspend my disbelief about these types of things. And my belief as well :?

What, exactly, if someone could briefly explain, is the basis of Toms theory that explains what is the nature of this link? I remember something he said about neutrons but, I forgot.
survivor

a passage from http://www.thefreedomforum.com

type into search box: nuclear weapons part 2

Tom said:
Mechanical "stress" CANNOT explain observable reality. Seismic waves decay within a few hours. Most serious earthquakes seem to happen DAYS or even WEEKS after atomic tests.

Sice mechanical waves provide a "stress release" mechanism - we should observe LESS, not more earthquakes after a wave has decayed. If you presented "mechanical" theory to a competent expert, he would tell you that a localized explosion cannot shake the planet any more that a mosquito can shake an elephant.
Aisin

Rezo & Survivor, the complete article is one page long, and titled 'Can a Neutron Bomb accelerate Global Volcanic Activity?'
ptex

Before proceeding with this topic, I felt the need to go back to the basics.
What exactly is a Neutron Bomb or a Nuclear Bomb?

So, again, I turned to wikipedia which provides a good explanation of both.

Quotes taken from wikipedia about Nuclear Weapon
  • "A nuclear weapon is a weapon which derives its destructive force from nuclear reactions of fission or fusion. As a result, even a nuclear weapon with a relatively small yield is significantly more powerful than the largest conventional explosives, and a single weapon is capable of destroying an entire city.

(...)
    There are two basic types of nuclear weapons:
    The first are weapons which produce their explosive energy through nuclear fission reactions alone. These are known colloquially as atomic bombs, A-bombs or The bomb.

The second basic type of nuclear weapon produces a large amount of its energy through nuclear fusion reactions, and can be over a thousand times more powerful than fission bombs. These are known as hydrogen bombs, H-bombs, thermonuclear bombs, or fusion bombs.

(...)
    There are other types of nuclear weapons as well. For example, a boosted fission weapon is a fission bomb which increases its explosive yield through a small amount of fusion reactions, but it is not a hydrogen bomb. Some weapons are designed for special purposes; a neutron bomb is a nuclear weapon that yields a relatively small explosion but a relatively large amount of prompt radiation; these could theoretically be used to cause massive casualties while leaving infrastructure mostly intact. The detonation of a nuclear weapon is accompanied by a blast of neutron radiation. Surrounding a nuclear weapon with suitable materials (such as cobalt or gold) creates a weapon known as a salted bomb."
I have to say this is not a theme I enjoy researching about but its clarification was needed and thus, the resulting post.

Now that we're all indoctrinated in the nature of these bombs I believe we can better understand Tom's essay.

At the light of this, I wonder what type of bombs are the North Koreans testing? Type-A Bombs or Neutron Bombs? Tom's theory clearly addresses Neutron Bombs which has an increased level of radiation (and smaller explosion). They must have different "impacts" on the planetary core (although none of them is very "recommendable").
The best portion of a good man's life is his little nameless unremembered acts of kindness and love.
~William Wordsworth
rafal

Is the pollution now irreversible?

Well, if the core doesn't blow up by around 2010-2015, then it's kind of hard to see hydrogen technology replacing the following situation (around 1 coal plant per week in China (!)):

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/11/busin ... wanted=all)

plus, logically speaking, I think the "you have but a few years left in which to arrest the pollution before the situation becomes irreversible" advice from TP is being stretched a little/ignored, since "few years" is certainly turning into 10-plus (even if we count from when TP was first published). Logic suggests that the few years is well and truly over.

Personally I came to the conclusion over the last 10 years (after reading TP in '97 and TFOC in '00) that we are here to learn by trying and this "trying" is necessary even in the face of our logical realisation that things are unlikely to improve and that we may lose our physical bodies at any time - because real improvement requires societal change and no matter how we try as individuals, it's unlikely to happen quickly enough on a Category 1 planet. Otherwise it wouldn't be category 1, would it! And as in any Category 1 planet, mistakes will be made on planetary scale and lessons will be harsh - over and over again, to maintain Category 1 status. So all we can do in the face of pollution is "do our bit" and even if we feel frustrated at the ignorance of the rest, our own spirituality will increase, which really is what existence on this planet is all about. Not the saving and spirituality of others but our own. As they say "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink".

I hope I wasn't too vague for a first post on pollution! :)
"The only limit we may ever experience in the Universe - is the one that we impose ourselves" (TFOC)
survivor

Each "new" generation/civilisation on earth has the chance to evolve spiritually, past civilisations went backwards and suffered extreme consequencies.

This current generation/civilisation has allowed itself to be munipilated, through ignorance and material desire (look up the word; public) now it is our time to suffer the consequencies. :roll:
rafal

except that the consequences will be such that we won't have an opportunity to learn from these current mistakes. When you have no planet, no possibility of learning from mistakes exists. And when that happens, there will be quite a few of us wanting to be reincarnated on other planets! Which is what is likely to happen. But we can try and see - maybe the planet can be saved. That's learning.
"The only limit we may ever experience in the Universe - is the one that we impose ourselves" (TFOC)
Robanan

Re: Monitoring Natural Disasters and Pollution Levels

Huge Chunk Of Antarctic Ice Collapses
Global Warming Blamed For Ice Shelf Collapse That Puts Larger Area At Risk
A piece of Antarctica, estimated to be a 160-square-mile chunk — which is about seven times the size of Manhattan — collapsed March 25 due to global warming, according to an article from The Associated Press. Read Article
Harmful cyanobacteria taking advantage of global warming I don't know if this is as dangerous as they picture it, but if someone knows more about it, please share.
The essence of Consciousness, is the ability to Create, Process, Transmit and Receive Information Autonomously.
Robanan

Al Gore Calls Myanmar Cyclone a 'Consequence' of Global Warming
Former vice president tells NPR's 'Fresh Air' cyclone is example of 'consequences that scientists have long predicted might be associated with continued global warming.'
“And as we’re talking today, Terry, the death count in Myanmar from the cyclone that hit there yesterday has been rising from 15,000 to way on up there to much higher numbers now being speculated,” Gore said. “And last year a catastrophic storm from last fall hit Bangladesh. The year before, the strongest cyclone in more than 50 years hit China – and we’re seeing consequences that scientists have long predicted might be associated with continued global warming.” Read Article
Read also Myanmar cyclone toll climbs to nearly 22,500.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um4ZmkSKnZs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=off0ZpURXAQ
The essence of Consciousness, is the ability to Create, Process, Transmit and Receive Information Autonomously.
Robanan

Important news, I'm afraid it will be taken down so I will put the whole text here.

EcoBlogger Exposes Fake List Global Warming Skeptic Scientists ( Written by Hank Green Wednesday, 07 May 2008)
Kevin Grandia, who we are proud to be well acquainted with through working together in the ecoblogosphere, has just been through a bit of a saga.

Curious about the Heartland Institute's list of "500 Prominent Scientists" who deny global warming, Kevin decided to contact some of the folks on the list. He put together a list of 150 email addresses...simply the addresses he found it most easy to acquire. After only 24 hours, he'd received 45 emails from angry scientists saying that they, in no way, denied anthropogenic global warming.

It turns out that the heartland institute had never told the scientists they were going on the list, nor did they check to see if these people actually had any doubts about the causes of climate change. Just a sampling of quotes from emails Kevin received:

I am horrified to find my name on such a list. I have spent the last 20 years arguing the opposite.

I have NO doubts ..the recent changes in global climate ARE man-induced. I insist that you immediately remove my name from this list since I did not give you permission to put it there.
Please remove my name. What [they] have done is totally unethical!!

The Heartland Institute has been publicizing their list for years, and not a single journalist took the time to check the names on the list. The Heartland Institute has now distanced itself from the list, and withdrawn its claim that they are supported by 500 prominent global warming skeptic scientists. But they have yet to apologize. Kevin deserves a great big "thank you" from the world. Check out DeSmogBlog and, if you think he's as awesome as I do, you might even consider donating to help him keep DeSmogBLog alive.
About the author:
Hank Green is the founder and chief geek at EcoGeek.org. Aside from being obsessed with saving the planet with technology, he loves to write and make videos. If you want to find out more about him, visit hankgreen.com
Rezo

here are several things regarding global warming which I prefer to call overheating / pollution...

heres an article about a 'low tech' approach, no opinion either way yet [well it could be an eyesore if everything was painted white!]:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/enviro ... -says.html

another is the Cumbre Vieja volcano on the western portion of the Canary Isla de la Palma - I am not sure if this volcano has an early-warning system or not, it appears not - also, regarding what wave momentum can really be; The discovery channel, several years ago, aired the documentary on the dangers of 'mega-tsunamis' - [which I only saw last week] the movie has scary music, etc, so heres a wiki article on the volcano instead [including rebuttals in links section at the bottom]:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumbre_vieja

and I dont know if anyone posted this already, about farming with more reflective plants [from ecogeek]:

http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/2495/

regarding 'reflective' plants - what sort of plants do you think may be planted, that could help here. and thoughts if any, on how would overplanting those, affect food crops, good or bad, etc. I dont know im not a farmer but I have to say I am learning slowly but surely more things about food, including how/when to grow it - our family used to have a vegetable garden in our backyard years ago. For the time being I am using an Aerogarden:

http://www.aerogrowreview.com/how-much- ... garden-use