Self-Actualization: The Path of Spirituality?

A place to discuss the higher self, chakras, meditation, spiritual healing, and other methods of healing.

Moderator: Moderators

bomohwkl

Self-Actualization: The Path of Spirituality?

"A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write,
if he is to be at peace with himself. What a man can be, he must be.
This is the need we may call self-actualization ... It refers to man's
desire for fulfillment, namely to the tendency for him to become
actually in what he is potentially: to become everything that one
is capable of becoming ..."
I am sure every man DESIRES to fullfill his potential. There is unlimited potential for us to GROW. Life without suffering is good but imagine life without suffering and without a chance to fulfill our potential is boring. Buddha achieved enlightenment and he fullfilled his potential to be a GREAT teacher.

Life is about maximizing our happiness, isn't it? The goal of eternal existence is to be happy by conscious control of ourselves. So, it looks like self-actualization is also a path of happiness, a path of spirituality?

Some of the interesting quotes of self-actalization
The biggest mistake people make in life is not trying to make a living at doing what they most enjoy.
- Malcolm S Forbes
Starting out to make money is the greatest mistkake in life. Do whay you fell you have a flair of doing and if you are good enough at it, the money will come.
- Greer Garson
Enthuasiasm is one of the most powerful enegines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful and you will accopolish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthuasiasm.
- Raphi Waldo Emerson
Last edited by bomohwkl on Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alisima

Life is not about maximizing happiness. It is about living.
Don't read my signature.
bomohwkl

Alisima wrote:Life is not about maximizing happiness. It is about living.
It is about living in order to SUFFER? Or It is about living in order to fulfil our potential?
Alisima

bomohwkl wrote:
Alisima wrote:Life is not about maximizing happiness. It is about living.
It is about living in order to SUFFER? Or It is about living in order to fulfil our potential?
There is no goal, there is no "in order to ...blablabla..."

It is the path.
Don't read my signature.
bomohwkl

Alisima wrote:

It is the path
A path without a direction I presume? Can you explain to me, in what ways of your life which you have applied such philosophy.
Alisima

bomohwkl wrote:Alisima wrote:

It is the path
A path without a direction I presume?
The direction presents itself.
bomohwkl wrote:Can you explain to me, in what ways of your life which you have applied such philosophy.
I have often used the analogy of a child playing. It doesn't play for some sort of end result, it plays because it plays.

Similar, one should live.
Don't read my signature.
bomohwkl

Alisima wrote:
I have often used the analogy of a child playing. It doesn't play for some sort of end result, it plays because it plays.

Similar, one should live.

Everyone wants to be a child. No resposibilities, no worries.When a child cries, the mother comforts him/her.The child life seems to be the happiest and the most care-free moment of a lifetime (from an adult perception). Hence, it plays because the act of playing DERIVES ENJOYMENT. Will a child play a boiling kettle and continue to play with the boiling water? Of course, the enjoyment is not the end result, it is the BY PRODUCT of playing.

When one lives outside the shelter of parents, one would understand that the happiness and care-free moment have to earn yourself. Young people who are still living under the protection of parents tends to have difficulty to understand. The lack of experience itself is the cause.

Hence, the act of living should derive happiness and enjoyment.

If you live outside protection and shelter of your parents, you have earned the happiness yourself.

In short, it is to live a life that the act of living is happiness.

Hence we need to KNOW how to live in order to have such moment of happiness.

Happiness and what are the things that derive happiness are very individual.

Growing is making such moment longer and higher.