Community Life vs. Being a Hermit / Recluse

This forum is intended to cater for topics that do not strictly relate to the book "Thiaoouba Prophecy", "She and I", and other closely related material.

Moderator: Moderators

Bastian

Community Life vs. Being a Hermit / Recluse

Continuing on from another thread: The 8 Circuits of Consciousness
Alisima wrote:There are no rules. When you think you are better off living a hermitic life then there is no one stopping you. I even think there are a few positive things due to a hermitic life. It is not necessary, however.
Vesko wrote:As for being a hermit most of the time, and thus escaping society, I think it is not good.
Being a hermit is certainly not for everyone - some folks go insane. Kind of like how Thao mentioned at the end of TP how some people feel a real need social interaction.

That is pretty much what this article below says. Also notice how people cope slightly better in adversity as they are distracted and stop focussing on their own petty worries .. ok well that is my own theory / interpretation of it. Something seems to go wrong when life is too easy
quoted from: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=21600
Aussies 'more dissatisfied' about life
11:40 AEST Tue Aug 23 2005
AAP

The personal wellbeing of Australians has fallen to its lowest level in three years, a new study indicates.

The Australian Unity Wellbeing Index has revealed a sharp decrease in Australians' satisfaction with living standards and security for the first time since November 2002.

A marked rise in personal wellbeing after the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the US was maintained during the period of the Bali bombing in October 2002 and the early stages of the Iraq war.

But people have started to feel less satisfied with their relationships and their sense of belonging within communities, the author of The Australian Unity Wellbeing Index, Professor Bob Cummins, said.

"Wellbeing is highly influenced by our relationships and interactions with others," he said.

The survey also found that people who live alone tend to have lower wellbeing than those who live with family or friends.

According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, the number of single person households is projected to increase from 1.8 million in 2001 to between 2.8 and 3.7 million in 2026.

"Without the support of a partner, people living alone are more vulnerable to negative life stressors," Prof Cummins said.

"Even minor health issues seem to be a bigger issue for these people."

But things are looking up for the fairer sex.

Females generally have higher levels of personal wellbeing than males and men are less resilient when faced with difficult circumstances.

"There is no difference at 18-25 years, but then male wellbeing suddenly becomes lower than female wellbeing at 26-35 years, and this disadvantage is maintained into older age groups," Prof Cummins said.

Marriage and high income are stronger influences on personal wellbeing than body weight, and the lowest wellbeing is found among sole parents, the study has found.

©AAP 2005
"All things derive their life from it [Tao] All things return to it, and it contains them." -- Tao Teh Ching
bomohwkl

Being a hermit is certainly not for everyone - some folks go insane. Kind of like how Thao mentioned at the end of TP how some people feel a real need social interaction.

That is pretty much what this article below says. Also notice how people cope slightly better in adversity as they are distracted and stop focussing on their own petty worries .. ok well that is my own theory / interpretation of it. Something seems to go wrong when life is too easy
I was kind of hermit for more than 25 years. Being a hermit underdevelops my interpersonal and language skills. More importantly, books cannot really teach you much. Interaction with other people allows me to see other people point of views ,thier perceptions and mistakes of life and experience of life. I find it useful to learn people mistakes. It allows me to be more prepare of the unexpected. Nowsaday, social interactions are necessary for me to accelerate my understanding and to develop skills I have ignored.(because I never know how important such skills were in physical reality until I ventured out)
The survey also found that people who live alone tend to have lower wellbeing than those who live with family or friends.
"Without the support of a partner, people living alone are more vulnerable to negative life stressors," Prof Cummins said.
Living far away from my family, if I find myself depressed, I try to surround myself with good friends. This can usually elevate depression.
"There is no difference at 18-25 years, but then male wellbeing suddenly becomes lower than female wellbeing at 26-35 years, and this disadvantage is maintained into older age groups," Prof Cummins said.
I think it is because females can make better friends and males. Males, when they talk, they like to talk a lot of superficial stuffs. They tend to have superfical friends. Female are more inclined to talk about their emotions.
Last edited by bomohwkl on Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vesko

I subscribe to the following view of Swami Rama expressed in his book "A Call to Humanity". I allow myself to emphasize his words in bold. Don't you think Michel's book promotes the same view? Although some of the things said below are not said directly in the latter (however, I think they can be derived by our own reflection on the book contents) aren't the Thiaooubans that Michel met giving clear indication that they strike a perfect balance between their individual and group (social) spiritual development, and since they are at the top of the ladder, that is the best way to live for everyone?
"We must not create a wall between our worldly and spiritual lives.

"People disorganize in their worldly life search for spiritual wisdom in seclusion; whereas, if organized properly, they can have all the means and resources that are of utmost importance for spiritual enlightenment. The purpose of human life is to make the best use of the resources that nature or God has given us.

"There are typically two kinds of people. Some are involved in the world and are busy in their self-centered activities. Others renounce their families and do not participate in worldly life at all. There are very few people who use discrimination, work hard for their self-fulfillment, and at the same time, contribute to the welfare of society. People belonging to these two categories have an incomplete world view, and therefore, strive for their limited goals.

"In our modern age, where the standard of living has been facilitated by science and technology, we must learn to make the best use of our ample resources. A lifestyle that is suitable for both worldly fulfillment and spiritual enlightenment is the best.

"Those who strive to attain personal enlightenment and help others light their lamps are the true leaders of the human race. Blessed are those who are useful for themselves as well as others. They attain the highest goal of life here and now. Right in this mortal world, they become immortal and their wisdom guides humanity on the path of immortality.

"Today’s society is waiting for selfless, spiritually enlightened, well-balanced leaders to guide them in how to live happily here and hereafter. Such leaders or reformers will not come from outside our society. They have to be born, raised, and trained right in our own society. We are the ones to become our own guides, our own leaders, and we are the ones to enlighten our own lives.

"Get up, my friends, arise: attain knowledge, and dedicate your life to the service of your fellow beings."

The last but one paragraph is particularly reminiscent of Thao's words (chapter "Who was Christ?", page 146):
But they [the young generation] must learn to look inside themselves for their answers. They should not wait for help to come to them from elsewhere, or they will be disappointed.
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Bastian

bomohwkl wrote:I think it is because females can make better friends and males. Males, when they talk, they like to talk a lot of superficial stuffs. They tend to have superfical friends. Female are more inclined to talk about their emotions.
Hey I think that is really true. Never considered that. Yup, the majority of guys talk about superficial stuff, I can attest to that! Especially as a teenager when even talking about spiritual stuff / emotions / philosophy would make you utterly 'weird'.

The easiest place to find fellow people who are interested in spirituality would (sadly) be in any kind of religious place like: buddhist temples / buddhist groups, churches / christian groups, synagogues, mosques, etc etc. Which is kind of annoying since most religions foster a kind of closed mindedness and dogmatic behaviour that is so intrenched that they can't see through the distorted information that is being dished out to them. I have also noticed that once the distorted information becomes part of tradition then it is nearly impossible to overcome. .. and that IMHO is when they start to rot from the inside..

What I really like about the buddhists I meet is that they are so much more open minded than folks from other religions (oh oh I think I called buddhism a religion hehe).

ooooh im rambling ;)
"All things derive their life from it [Tao] All things return to it, and it contains them." -- Tao Teh Ching
Bastian

A great quote from Mr Rama, thanks! :-)