"Sacred Symbols of Mu" by James Churchward

Official information, announcements and interviews in the press, on TV, radio.

Moderator: Moderators

Vesko

"Sacred Symbols of Mu" by James Churchward

Table of contents:
http://www.sacred-texts.com/atl/ssm/index.htm#contents

Start reading:
http://www.sacred-texts.com/atl/ssm/ssm00.htm.

Why is it available for free?

Surprisingly, the second link above reads:
Scanned at sacred-texts.com, December, 2003. J. B. Hare, redactor. This text is in the public domain in the United States because its copyright was not renewed in a timely fashion as required by law at the time. These files may be used for any non-commercial purpose, provided this notice of attribution is left intact.
You will note at http://www.sacred-texts.com/atl/ssm/index.htm the following paragraph:
It doesn't help matters that Churchward's books are largely absent of apparatus such as footnotes or bibliography, and his basic source material cannot be independently confirmed. In his Mu-monomania, he employs circular and tautological reasoning. Often, he will make a startling assertion, and before supporting it, will move on to some other train of thought. At other times, he writes factually about, say, Egyptian mythology, without any clue for the reader as to why this proves anything about Mu. The reader is simultaneously entertained and irritated by this intellectual shell game.
From my own reading of Churchward's books, some of that opinion is true, and it must have indeed served to relegate Churchward's writings to the status of so-called "fringe literature", as I have already pointed out on the topic 'Has Anyone Read "The Lost Continent of Mu"?' in the "General Discussion" forum. I wish Churchward had at least given more detailed and more numerous references about his sources.

"However, Churchward may have the last laugh yet" -- says the last paragraph on the page, and I most definitely agree.

There are numerous major things in Churchward's books that appear more or less the same in Michel's book. There is no way the former to turn out to be mostly true or false, and the latter not to be.

P.S.

I think it should be known that James Churchward's great-grandson, Jack Churchward (http://www.churchward.com), has a stance that the entire Mu affair is a hoax. (I had a couple of e-mail exchanges with him in mid-2003.) One of the things he said was that no one else has seen the Naacal tablets that Churchward supposedly found and studied in India; another -- that he never served in the military and was never a colonel. Such a tablet is mentioned by Thao on page 52 in the chapter "The Golden Planet". I know the copyright of the beginning book of the series, "The Lost Continent of Mu" has been renewed by that relative, not sure about the rest, nor have I found them on the Internet.

Regarding the claim that James Churchward has never been a colonel, the article
"James Churchward and His Lost Pacific Continent -- Lost Continent or Lost Cause?" by Churchward's god-daughter Joan Tate Griffith. The article, which has been discussed on the topic "Article about the Lost Continent of Mu by Joan T. Griffith" on this forum ("Library, Interviews, Illustrations, Media Releases"), states the following at the end:
And, one fact he did not mention to our family, was that he was in British Intelligence in India, which would explain the absence of certain records of James' early background, especially military. This was revealed by Peter Tompkins (who had the information from unimpeachable sources) in his Mysteries of the Mexican Pyramids.
There also exists an unpublished biography of James Churchward, "My Friend Churchey and His Sunken Island of Mu", written by his very close friend Percy T. Griffith, father of Joan Griffith (I have already mentioned about it on the topic "El Padre Crespi and His Collection" in the "General History: Events and Lessons" forum). A couple of pages, including the table of contents, can be found at http://www.geocities.com/ganggon/myfriend/. Inquiring Joan Griffith about the biography in late 2003, she told me about the abovementioned article she had written. (Contrary to what the aforementioned web page says, she no longer offers the biography -- the rights have been sold off to another person, as already mentioned. Fortunately, eventually I managed to obtain a copy.) I hope it gets published soon -- you can find a tentative cover at http://www.redgar.net/lifeforces/bookcover.htm, a page on the right holder's website.
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
my-mu

Re:"Sacred Symbols of Mu" by James Churchward

Vesko wrote:I think it should be known that James Churchward's great-grandson, Jack Churchward (http://www.churchward.com), has a stance that the entire Mu affair is a hoax. (I had a couple of e-mail exchanges with him in mid-2003.) One of the things he said was that no one else has seen the Naacal tablets that Churchward supposedly found and studied in India; another -- that he never served in the military and was never a colonel.
As far as being a Colonel, there is no evidence that James was such. As far as the entire
affair being a hoax, I am not sure that this is the case as you have stated above.

Perhaps my negative response on some of your points lead you to believe that I felt that
way, but I have not completely studied the material and will not jump to any conclusions
until I have.

Please visit http://www.my-mu.com for more information.

Jack Churchward
Clearwater, Florida
Robanan

WOW! You are most welcome to the forum Sir... :D
The essence of Consciousness, is the ability to Create, Process, Transmit and Receive Information Autonomously.
Vesko

Dear Mr. Churchward,

It is my pleasure to meet virtually once again! I bet that you have reached the forum via the article you have found and linked from http://www.my-mu.com/link1.html.

(Note that ought to be noted: While it's nice that whoever manages http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net pointed to the original online source of the article (this forum site), the forum and its maintainers hasn't heard from them. The former site is most certainly violating David Childress' WEX's (World Explorers Club) copyright by having published an altered version of the article and just stating that the original is located on this forum site. In addition, they obviously do not have a permission from WEX to publish it at all, unlike us. They should have only linked to the PDF photocopy here (http://goldenplanetforum.com/library/ch ... rticle.pdf). I don't want WEX to come after the forum because of that site's inconsideration. Strictly speaking, anyone, such as your site, who refers to material in violation of copyright law is liable for that under the law, too. On the other hand, their HTML-ized version with the additional pictures and text may be nicer for readers than the PDF photocopy. But they should ask WEX for a permission.)
my-mu wrote:As far as the entire affair being a hoax, I am not sure that this is the case as you have stated above.

Perhaps my negative response on some of your points lead you to believe that I felt that way, but I have not completely studied the material and will not jump to any conclusions until I have.
Your words have prompted me to re-check one of your letters from our correspondence at the time, because I keep it. Dated April 26, 2003, subject "Re: 2 questions". Since we have already mentioned everything that is in it on this forum thread, and there is no private data in it, either, I find it appropriate at this point to reproduce it here in verbatim and in full:
I don't mean to be negative, but there is precious little about the Lost Continent of Mu that is true, even 'Colonel" James wasn't a Colonel. I have incontrovertible proof that the entire affair is/was a hoax.

Have a nice day,
Jack C.

btw, he was my great-grandfather.

>Dear Sir,
>
>I have 2 questions that I forgot to ask in my previous letter:
>Do you know what happened to the Naacal tablets?
>Is there something very secret regarding his discoveries that your
>grandfather didn't want to reveal in his books?
>
>Best regards,
>Vesko
As you can see, I have been most precise in my retelling of your words, and have neither really interpreted them, nor jumped to any conclusions myself.
my-mu wrote:Please visit http://www.my-mu.com for more information.
The idea behind this new site is fabulous. Thank you for making the two lectures available! I have subscribed to your list.
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
my-mu

Thank you for holding my feet to the fire. A response is necessary and reprinted below. This is the same entry that I used in the my-mu.com blog.

My-Mu.com Dec. 30th Update
After hours of concerted effort our first, short podcast has been placed online (http://www.my-mu.com/podcasts/). Other resources are being worked, if you not already done so, please check out what is already online at (http://www.my-mu.com/resources.html).

Setting the Record Straight
As a note of interest, in the past I have sent private emails of a decidedly negative connotation concerning James and his theories. These emails should have been prefaced with the remarks:
"Even though I have never read his books and my family has always dismissed them as a hoax, my current belief is:"
This negative impression was the result of marital strife dating back to the 1880s and has been handed down as an inheritance through my family for over one hundred years. Due to several factors, I have since taken a step back and rather than dismiss James and his theories out of hand, I have decided to perform an impartial examination of the evidence. I hope that with the materials I have and those yet to be found, a more complete picture of James and his theories will crystalize - sparking new debates and research and challenging the status quo about my celebrated ancestor. This effort is embodied in my-mu.com. I do not promise to uphold his theories, only suspend judgment until the subject has been thoroughly investigated.

Our future plans will be discussed in our blog and through the podcasts that have been started. Your participation is welcomed, please visit our media page (http://www.my-mu.com/index1.html) to see how to get involved.

Jack Churchward
Clearwater, Florida
Vesko

Thank you for clearing up things for everyone's benefit. I am also very thankful that you took my post in a positive way. I have posted your past stance on the matter because I had to buttress my words, but, unfortunately, in doing so, I forcedly put you in an uncomfortable position to have to explain in public the discrepancy between your past and current stance. Please accept my most sincere apologies; considering your first post on the topic and everything else I knew, it would have been much better if I had contacted you in private first, before any public exposition on my part.
Vesko

Vesko wrote:There also exists an unpublished biography of James Churchward[...]
As Mr. Jack Churchward announced recently in his second podcast (audio recording) freely available on his web site, the biography has been published recently -- see http://www.my-mu.com/myfriend/index.html. From the page:
There's much mystery and confusion, garbled tales and misinformation about the Lost Continent of Lemuria, but even more concerning the man who spent a lifetime trying to put it in its rightful place on the map, Colonel James M. Churchward, author of the Mu books.

In 1926, the British-born Churchward came out with his first in a series of five books. The Lost Continent of Mu, prefaced by an admonition to "all scientists" to please copy for future reference, important points of pre-history and anthropology he hade compiled through more than 50 years of research and exploration throughout Asia and the South Seas.
[...]
In this volume Percy T. Griffith brings out the character of James Churchward so that we, as readers, may decide for ourselves whether to accept the Mu books on face value.
alexH

Being, Infinite and All Powerful. That it was the Creator who created all things above and below. That man was created by this Almighty Being and having been created by Him, was his son-that this Almighty was man's Heavenly Father.

Second: When man was created the Creator placed within the body of man a spirit or soul which never died but continued on through eternity.

Third: When man was created it was ordained that his material body should return to the earth from which it was taken. When this material body died it released the soul which went into the world beyond, there to wait until it was called upon to occupy another material body.

Apparently, as soon as his primitive mind could grasp the facts, he was taught that his soul was given a task. This task was for the soul to rule the material body by overcoming material desires. When this was accomplished his soul would be called back to the Great Source, and forever afterwards live in perfect joy and happiness.

He was taught that one material life was so short that the soul could not overcome all of the material desires, so it was ordained that his soul should come into many bodies until the task was accomplished; that these reincarnations were the salvation of his soul.

Fourth: It was thoroughly instilled into his mind that the Heavenly Father was The Great Love and that this great love ruled the Universe and never died.

----WHOA, that's VERY similar to what's in the book
If a blind man leads another, they will both fall into a pit. -Jesus Christ

The no-mind not-thinks no-thoughts about no thing.
Gautama Buddha
Rezo

Re: "Sacred Symbols of Mu" by James Churchward

check out the new my-mu.com pocast, interesting stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSYBVBLcZxw
shezmear

It gets better this is pretty good...

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=jch ... q-bqb6la50

Actually this is a kind of smoking gun....very hard to fake
By their deeds shall you know them.
J.C
Rezo

Very nice! Looks genuine to me!! Fascinating... thanks :thumleft:
shezmear

Yeah Rezo I think for me this is it....it`s getting very close.I was almost was going to start a whole new thread on proof.There is no way Michel would have known these stones exist.Considering the only source of the information was the books by Churchward which were generally considered esoteric.So add this to the knowledge about electrons, life after death and NDEs.The tomb of Jesus intelligent Civilizations and Noise, the latter being something I actually took the time to find out for my self.Also the info on the HS, it checks out if you have ever encountered your own.To top it all off Egypt's past the disappear of Mu which the artifact that Churchward keep from his discovery's were dated to 12500 years old.And to top it all off Michel behavior is consistent with his story.He never wanted to write the book.On the ship Thao more or less indicated, his words 'Shut up and write the Book" .He has done that has not sort fame and has gone about life.To me that kind of speak volumes about his integrity as a source.And this is just off the top of my head I could go on. I`m getting really convinced.I have always wanted to know , I don`t know if I will ever know but I getting pretty certain about this.It`s not enough to just believe for me.
By their deeds shall you know them.
J.C
ronald

More reference points for confirmation are always helpful to reach the, know what you know. :study:
BlueHaze

Definitely interesting. Just a few questions come to mind however: why haven't they been discovered earlier, and is the place really that well guarded? I would think that would raise some interest among people? I would understand better them being lost so long if they were in a collapsed cave or something.. Also where does it say that they are from Mu, are they compatible with the drawings Churchward presented in his book (haven't studied this further yet)?

Anyway seems almost too good to be true, I would like to believe though, let's see what happens.. :)
Rasmus