Dreams -- Lucid and "Normal"

A place to discuss the higher self, chakras, meditation, spiritual healing, and other methods of healing.

Moderator: Moderators

trumpet_is_cool

Dreams -- Lucid and "Normal"

Hi...

I thought it might be a good Idea to start a topic about Dreaming, i saw that there are already some Informations in other topics but it is quite difficult to search for the relevant Informations.

It seems that i`m able to remember my dreams since approx 2 Week`s, i didn`t practised it, from one day to another i was able to recall my dreams and i must admit that this is really interesting and faszinating for me...Some day`s i remember only some parts and at other day`s i remember 3 or more dreams and a lot of details like every conversation and action ! At the search for more Informations how to increase the ability to remember dreams i found something about lucid dreaming on Wikibooks http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Lucid_dreaming which is even more interesting.

I remembered from time to time a dream (once in a month maybe) but not that detailed and often compared to the last 2 Weeks.

I try now to become control about the dreams, it seems to be a good way to make experiences that are not possible in real life...

Does anyone have any helpful advise ?
- How to increase the ability to remember dreams ?
- Is it worth to practise "reality checks" ?
- What is most important to become lucid ?
- Do you think that dreaming is actually a kind of OBE experience (WILD technique) ?
- Any good weblinks ?
- Most important : Any personal experiences ?

I did read the wikibook, there is already a lot of advise, but maybe someone has made already some experiences with the different techniques and can share them with us
;-)
Alisima

He, trumpet

I am a natural lucid dreamer, that is, lucid dreaming just happened to me, naturally. Can't even remember my first one.
trumpet_is_cool wrote:Does anyone have any helpful advise ?
Yes, there are a few people who can get you on the right track. Just read some articles about lucid dreaming, or buy a book. Google always helps.
trumpet_is_cool wrote:How to increase the ability to remember dreams ?
Show interest in them. Write them down, run them through your head after you woken up, or just at any given time during the day. I have had mornings in which I could clearly recall up to 7 dreams.
trumpet_is_cool wrote:Is it worth to practise "reality checks" ?
If you do it with earnestness you get results.
trumpet_is_cool wrote:What is most important to become lucid ?
Remembering it.
trumpet_is_cool wrote:Do you think that dreaming is actually a kind of OBE experience (WILD technique) ?
No, it is the other way around, an OBE is a kind of dreaming.
trumpet_is_cool wrote:Any good weblinks ?
Google. Google, and Google.
trumpet_is_cool wrote:Most important : Any personal experiences ?
Plenty. However, it is, unlike you said, least important.

There is only but one difference between a lucid dream and a 'normal' dream, in a lucid dream you are convinced that your are dreaming. Some people want to control their dreams and thus desire for lucid dreaming. But it is not necessary to be lucid when you merely want to control the dream. You are already controlling it!!

I have done amazing feats in normal non-lucid dreams.
Don't read my signature.
trumpet_is_cool

trumpet_is_cool wrote:Does anyone have any helpful advise ?
Yes, there are a few people who can get you on the right track. Just read some articles about lucid dreaming, or buy a book. Google always helps.
Trouble is that there is sooo much Information that it is more confusing as helpfull...
However i found a Site that seems quite serious : http://www.dreamviews.com/ please read over it and let me know whether the informations are accurate / good if you have the time...
trumpet_is_cool wrote:How to increase the ability to remember dreams ?
Show interest in them. Write them down, run them through your head after you woken up, or just at any given time during the day. I have had mornings in which I could clearly recall up to 7 dreams.
Okay, seems that i`m on the right track, i remembered again 4 dreams today, i did awake twice in the night, the first time i remembered nothing but the next time i remembered 1 Dream and in the morning the other three ones...
Remembering it.
You mean remembering dreams in general ?
There is only but one difference between a lucid dream and a 'normal' dream, in a lucid dream you are convinced that your are dreaming. Some people want to control their dreams and thus desire for lucid dreaming. But it is not necessary to be lucid when you merely want to control the dream. You are already controlling it!!
I think in normal dreams you are more like an actor and not the director,you accept everything as normal, i wonder always that i didn`t realised that i was dreaming...It`s a bit like written in this quote from dreamviews.com :
we become easily distracted in our dreams. You may perform a reality check and discover you're dreaming, but all of a sudden something catches your eye: "I must be drea…hey look! A purple cat!" and immediately lose your lucidity.
I can really suggest to work on dream recalling, it`s really interesting and might be good for the spiritual development as well !
Alisima

trumpet_is_cool wrote:However i found a Site that seems quite serious : http://www.dreamviews.com/ please read over it and let me know whether the informations are accurate / good if you have the time...
Well, I haven't read much, but the info can get you started.
trumpet_is_cool wrote:
Alisima wrote:
Remembering it.
You mean remembering dreams in general ?
Like I said earlier, there is no difference between a 'normal' dream and a lucid one apart from you being conscious that you are dreaming. Other than that, no difference. So, yeah, all dreams.
trumpet_is_cool wrote:I think in normal dreams you are more like an actor and not the director
Although that may seem so, specially in the beginning, you are as much an actor in a 'normal' dream as in a lucid one. Only when you do not dream are you not an actor.
trumpet_is_cool wrote:It`s a bit like written in this quote from dreamviews.com :
we become easily distracted in our dreams. You may perform a reality check and discover you're dreaming, but all of a sudden something catches your eye: "I must be drea…hey look! A purple cat!" and immediately lose your lucidity.
I can really suggest to work on dream recalling, it`s really interesting and might be good for the spiritual development as well !
If you are after lucid dreaming, dream recall alone is not going to cut it. If you really want to change your dreams, or the way that you are dreaming, you need to change the dreamer.

By the way, have you ever had an lucid dream??
Don't read my signature.
trumpet_is_cool

Like I said earlier, there is no difference between a 'normal' dream and a lucid one apart from you being conscious that you are dreaming. Other than that, no difference. So, yeah, all dreams.
I would like to add something from the dreamviews webpage:
Many people seem ignorant of the distinction between having a lucid dream, and controlling a dream. Being able to freely control one's dream does not directly follow becoming lucid: one can have a lucid dream without any control whatsoever. Controlling your dream is simply proceeding to the next level, by attempting to exert your will upon your surroundings.
So it should be possible to be lucid (concious that you are dreaming) and to control the dream (as the "director")...Or am i wrong with that ?
If you are after lucid dreaming, dream recall alone is not going to cut it. If you really want to change your dreams, or the way that you are dreaming, you need to change the dreamer.
Of course...What changes are needed from your point of view ? Have you figured out activities that prevents you from lucid dreaming (Like eating some foods, watching TV or something else) ?
By the way, have you ever had an lucid dream??
No...Or better...I can`t remember, i previously remembered very rarely a dream (Once a month maybe and not very detailed, now i can recall nearly every night at least one dream)...One time i changed the content of my dream (I liked to see an antenna more detailed and was before it in the next moment) but i wasn`t aware that i`m dreaming,it was "normal" that i was in the next moment in 200m height to view the detail :-) But i think it is worth to work on it (Dream recalling & to become lucid).
Alisima

trumpet_is_cool wrote:So it should be possible to be lucid (concious that you are dreaming) and to control the dream (as the "director")...Or am i wrong with that ?
You ARE already doing that, you are the director, where do you think dreams come from?? You are the dreamer AND the dream. There is no seperate dream from a dreamer. They are one. Please understand this, somehow you think one needs to pass some threshold to become lucid or to change the dream. In Zen they call this the gateless gate, you stand before the gate and want to pass through, but upon passing through you realize that there was no gate and noone to go through it. When you finally become lucid, or perhapse after a couple of times, you will understand me. Until that time you are fooling yourself, with no apparent way out.
trumpet_is_cool wrote:Of course...What changes are needed from your point of view ? Have you figured out activities that prevents you from lucid dreaming (Like eating some foods, watching TV or something else) ?
I have had lucid dreams when I was so drunk I couldn't stand on my feet, at other times I have had them when I was sober for months. I don't think there are things which increase lucid dreams. It just depends on how you handle things, situations, events. Whether that be in live or in a dream, it is essentially the same. So what prevents lucid dreaming, YOU.

Be more relaxed, be more attentive, be more aware. Look at the world, look at people, stand out aloof. Don't judge, just look. When you are done with that, do the same on your body, watch how it walks, how it talks, and how it does. After that watch how you feel, watch your emotions. Then move to your mind, watch that, good or bad thoughts, it doesn't matter. Watch. Watch. Watch.

You want to have lucid dreams, I say live lucid first. If one does that with earnestness, lucid dreaming should happen naturally.

But then again, it is possible without all this de-tour. It can happen tonight. Like I said, you are the obstacle. The problem often is that one doesn't understand that after it finally happens, after you finally pass the gateless gate. But then you are already across, although it usually results in a good laugh. :lol:
Don't read my signature.
InfoSource

- Any good weblinks ?
To trumpet_is_cool, try this website http://www.faqs.org/faqs/dreams-faq/lucid-dreaming-faq/

There are lots of different techniques given for lucid dreaming
To Alisima, have you ever in your experience as a lucid dreamer tried to control time? Or better put the perception of time in your lucid dream?

For instance in reality a lucid dream lasts 1 or 2 minutes, but while you are dreaming you can make the experience feel like your lucid dreaming for hours, days, or even years?
Alisima

InfoSource wrote:
To Alisima, have you ever in your experience as a lucid dreamer tried to control time? Or better put the perception of time in your lucid dream?

For instance in reality a lucid dream lasts 1 or 2 minutes, but while you are dreaming you can make the experience feel like your lucid dreaming for hours, days, or even years?
No, I haven't done that, at least not purposely. I have read books, however, in which people claim they have spend entire months in their dreams. So it is very much possible. Although I don't see the point of it, with time being non-existent and all.

But for record, you are already controlling 'time' in your dreams. Like I said before, there is nothing in your dream which isn't you, your perception of time included. You create your own dream, and then you want to change it. How odd! Why not create a new dream altogether instead of changing the last, which can't be done anyhow, since it does not exist.

Just a couple of days ago I had a non-lucid dream in which I practised telekinesis. Although I knew in my back of my mind it had to be a dream, the thought never occured to me on a conscious level. Anyhow, as I was showing my dreamcharacters how easy it was to move things with my mind, it actually took much of my concentration. In retrospect, it was ofcourse very stupid of me to think that telekinesis, in a dream, requires concentration. It, obviously, requires as much as concentration to move the object than to keep them still. And since movement, specially in a dream, is pure 'hot air', it makes it even double obvious.

But, in the dream it still took me some 'concentration', or at least I thought. And that is where I went wrong, I thought. I thought it needed concentration, and therefore I could not succeed, or not as much as I wanted. What if you were, on a conscious and subconscious level, fully convinced you can move objects in your dream without even the slightest concentration. Would that not make objects easier to move?? In fact, they would move where and whenever you wanted, instantly. And that, accoring to my own observations, is absolutely correct.

Most people wrongfully assume that in a dream, only the dream, with its scenario and characters, are imagined. Apart from that, also the believes and laws you hold true are imagined, recreated in your dream and then they confine you (and yes, also your thoughts.) Almost all of those believes and laws are directly copied from the 'waking-life'. Among them are the notions that you cannot fly, or that you cannot move objects with mind-power alone. These are false, and must be seen that way if you ever want to fly, with no apparent restrictions, in a dream.

So the only one who is restricting you in doing amazing feats in your dreams, lucid or non-lucid, are you.

I think it is perfectly possible for someone to be fully conscious in their sleep, dream or no dream. The only one preventing you from doing it, is you. Which seems like illogic. But it is so. On a certain level you want to do just that, be fully conscious in your sleep, but on another level you think that you can't do that, or need training for that, or some other misassumption. That is what is preventing you from actually doing it. In order to achieve this 'conscious-sleep', you may subject yourself to training, but then you are again implying that you are somehow not ready for it, which renders you unable to do it.

Some people call it beginners luck when a beginner, and it could be of any sport or game, suddenly finds himself winning. Normally a beginner should not be able to win, since he is just a beginner. However, he does win. And we, being unable to explain it, call it luck. But that is not the case. This beginner, without anything to lose, plays the game almost spontaneous, and without any distressing thoughs about losing, or winning, or good or bad technique, is in a much better state to play the game, and therefore, wins.

Or you could say, he is without doubt. He just does it. That is exactly the state one should be in when one tries to control his dreams. Without doubt.

And I think it is the same state which you require when you want to levitate, or do telekinesis in real life. I have read some books on these subjects and I suspect it to be the same state. And yes, lucid dreaming could be used as a training ground to practise these 'super-powers'. But then again, the same restrictions that restricted you in your dream, now restrict you in your normal life. Which are, as with all things, false, and when finally seen this way allows you to manipulate your environment around you.

But that is another story, besides that, it requires years of training to get rid of the idea that you can't do it, and with the training only strengthening the idea of your unabilities you can see it is quite an arduous task while at the same time being as simple as truth itself. Yes, it can be 'learned' in less than a second.
Don't read my signature.