Live chat

News, announcements and technical support for the forum. Report any related problem and be sure it is going to be solved :).

Moderator: Moderators

gog

Live chat

Hello people of the world...

So i was wondering if it would be possible to add a LIVE CHAT facility to this site... yep yep
perhaps in the near future we could all CHAT together exchanging ideas experience etc etc..

just a thought......
VeskoP

Re: Live chat

Hi, Impalerr,

A good idea. It is now possible to do so. Chat sessions are not logged and preserved. If we'd like to log them, we can agree on that on a per-chat basis.

Hope we put it to good and proper use!

P.S. Your request is a coincidence because 1-2 days ago I thought about the possibility of adding such a communication facility to the forum, and searched, insufficiently at the time, for suitable software to integrate.
Last edited by VeskoP on Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Man exists physically for the sole purpose to develop spiritually" -- let us all really remember this when we think what to do next.
Robanan

WOW! we are getting resonance here. I was thinking about it the whole week, and still trying to imagine how it all would look like. Up to this moment I'm persuaded that having it is just a brilliant idea. BUT! ... we will still have to see and rate the benefit of this system. :)
The essence of Consciousness, is the ability to Create, Process, Transmit and Receive Information Autonomously.
VeskoP

It has only basic functionality. Let's see how it serves us and if we need anything more complex.
"Man exists physically for the sole purpose to develop spiritually" -- let us all really remember this when we think what to do next.
Alisima

Where is it?
Don't read my signature.
InfoSource

It's at the bottom of the page on the main screen of the forum, in the Who's Online box
Yothu

It's kewl 8)
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got.
Lena

too bad I don't live in the same time zone as most people here :(
gog

Ahh i hear ya, Vesko.... robanan...

already testing it now!!... love it.. so simple.... just right!!

TIA!
gog

Ahhhhh hello..

i see 2 ppl in the chat...

i went in.. and i only see myself... hmmm interesting!!!

???????
VeskoP

Try again.

I am about to announce the new, much extended chat feature, which I have been setting up and integrating with the forum today. Right now there is one "zombie" user that needs to time out, but I believe the time out is too large -- I made it smaller but it affects only new users. I don't know about the other user -- could be just me or someone else just exiting at the moment you had seen both users.

Edit on 2005-02-05:

Beside the timeout having to be smaller, the software had to be changed so it would then always perform cleanup of the online chatters list. Before this fix, cleanup happened only when someone entered the chat afterwards.

As before, if one exits the chat in the proper way (clicking "Exit chat", located on the right side of the screen), the chatters list is updated immediately, there is no need to wait for a timeout to elapse, and there is no chance for confusion. So, to ensure the best experience, please exit the chat in the proper way.
Last edited by VeskoP on Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
VeskoP

:welcome: Welcome to the new chat feature! It is accessible via "Chat" at the top of the page and "Join chat" at the bottom. It has support for multiple chat channels and private ones.

Ptex, Robanan, Jamen and I have tested it quite a bit, so it should work well. There are a couple of known and very minor problems that are to be addressed in a future revision.
VeskoP

Note that as mentioned in the announcement "Secure forum browsing and chatting" in this forum, chatting is no longer possible in non-secure mode (because it does not make sense to be possible any more), so if you experience problems entering a chat, make sure you have followed the preparatory steps in the announcement.
VeskoP

The chat software has been changed to a better one, because of forum member complaints and other feedback. Also, the software has been customised to suit the forum better than what its standard installation offers -- its own emoticons / smilies have been replaced with forum ones, and its color theme has been made to match the "subSilver" forum theme (style) more closely.
VeskoP

Multiple chat rooms are now possible. Any forum member can create a room on a particular topic. Rooms can be password-protected and then only people who you've shared the password with can enter the room.

Any room except the default one is automatically removed if it stays empty for more than a week. This expiry period can be lengthened, shortened or entirely waived on a per-room basis by sending a request to the forum management.