The worth of Subliminal messages

This forum is intended to cater for topics that do not strictly relate to the book "Thiaoouba Prophecy", "She and I", and other closely related material.

Moderator: Moderators

ptex

The worth of Subliminal messages

Haven't we all all heard that the nature of our usual thoughts shapes our reality?
There are countless documents more or less of scientific nature (whose polemic I'd like to escape for the moment) trying to prove this claim.
For some of us, this is even backed up by our personal experience.

Ancient sages to modern teachers they all are unanimous in bringing this issue to our attention in the way that if one searches for a better life, one should first pay conscious attention to (and then progressively change) his or her thinking habits. Figuratively speaking there's even a famous example where our mind is compared to a garden and our thoughts as seeds... meaning to show that according the seeds one saws, the corresponding "fruit" / plant grows.

One way of changing these habits is through the use positive affirmations. These affirmations when repeated several times a day, apparently, have the power to change our default thinking process and thus to produce the desired results. Of course that the way the affirmations are made and the number of daily repetitions make the whole difference towards the goal one wants to achieve (this subject is to be further developed).

A Subliminal message (according to its definition in Wikipedia) is a signal or message designed to pass below the normal limits of perception.
How does it work? Imagine you have a voice recorded message (the voiced speech of a typical adult male has a fundamental frequency of from 85 to 155 Hz, and that of a typical adult female from 165 to 255 Hz), to turn it into a subliminal message you change its frequency between (for example) 14KHz to 18KHz. The resulting message is not consciously understood nevertheless it's claimed to be subconsciously grasped.

Now, by mixing our own custom made subliminal messages (it can indeed be dangerous to rely on pre-made subliminals) with positive affirmations and our favorite tunes, for example, where the message is repeated several times, we may have a very powerful tool to reprogram our thinking and thus to increase the quality of our living.

I'm very much interested in learning other opinions, experiences and resources regarding the Worth of using subliminal messages in the way I here describe.

I exclude everything else non-subliminal, like neural beats, bi-neural beats and so forth. Also excluded are other (infamous) uses of subliminals than the one mentioned (for our own purposes).

The big questions are: can custom-made subliminal messages be considered a worthy tool for personal development? Up to what measure can it (or not) be considered a hindrance for spiritual progress? What are the dangers involved here? Can we honestly determine (or learn about it) the safety border here?
Lena

I am concerned that if you use tapes to send you subliminal messages too much, you might block out messages from the higher self, like noise. If the subconsious is busy picking up subliminal messages all the time it may not be available to attend to something else - something else that may be more urgent or important.

my teachers have told me that it's better not to do homework while listening to music with lyrics because you're subconsious is listening to the words and it distracts you from your work, even though you may not realise it. I'm actually listening to music with lyrics right now :roll: but If I was really trying to write well, like a poem, I wouldn't listen to anything but my own thoughts. I think subliminal messages would have the same distracting effect, even if you can't hear it.

I recall Tom Chalko saying that he learned a foriegn language in high school by playing tapes as he slept. One time I recorded the lines for a play I had to memorize and I played it while I dozed off to sleep. I started to have the strangest thoughts and images play across my mind. I dreampt that my co-actor was raping a goat with a knife, and at that point I turned off my CD player and went to sleep in silence. However, nothing like that has ever happened when I listen to music while sleeping.
Robanan

I myself listen to music with lyrics very rarely.
ptex wrote:The resulting message is not consciously understood nevertheless it's claimed to be subconsciously grasped.
There is not much I can say here since as much as it's a claim it can be the same much a hoax. Has anyone tried to examine their subconsciousness with their consciousness? Is it possible? What are the possible ways of examining and understanding the workings of the subconsciousness?

I currently believe that a message should be first consciously recieved first before it is passed to the subconsciousness. Can it be that what we call subconsciousness is actually like some buffer or cache memory for the mind?

I refrain from experimenting with Subliminal messages until I get the answers of the above questions.
ptex wrote:Now, by mixing our own custom made subliminal messages (it can indeed be dangerous to rely on pre-made subliminals) with positive affirmations and our favorite tunes, for example, where the message is repeated several times, we may have a very powerful tool to reprogram our thinking and thus to increase the quality of our living.
Ptex I understand your idea and from my exchanges with you I know and I'm 100% sure that you are saying this with pure heart and good intentions. But please do consider the following, you know that I'm saying this just because I care of the best for us all:

Why we should do that in a way that we don't know and are not sure about it's workings, when we can do it consciously? Another point is that it's not just about changing our thoughts it's also about experiencing good if not euphoric feelings. Sometimes a good peice of music does more magic than any words you could dictate to yourself.

From another side we have an extremely huge load of information encoded in our electrons some noise (to our consciousness, any sound at 14KHz to 18KHz is just some noise) could very well disturb that. I wouldn't want to rewrite and or destroy any of that information with the help of subconsciously listening to messages (consciously listening to noise). Even if it's some good information it would be like putting raw food right through my veins (literally speaking) just because I don't want to eat through my mouth. Think about it people. Can it be that the scientists are reaching formulas how to Zombify people better? I think it's the case.

NATURE RULES!
Lena wrote:I am concerned that if you use tapes to send you subliminal messages too much, you might block out messages from the higher self, like noise. If the subconsious is busy picking up subliminal messages all the time it may not be available to attend to something else - something else that may be more urgent or important.
Yes Lena it can be even worse than that, as if we would risk to substitute a great deal of the information that we gather naturally for the Higher-Self with some information (no difference good or bad) that is only about one thing. Wouldn't that sabotage our higher-self? I think it would.
Lena wrote:One time I recorded the lines for a play I had to memorize and I played it while I dozed off to sleep. I started to have the strangest thoughts and images play across my mind. I dreampt that my co-actor was raping a goat with a knife, and at that point I turned off my CD player and went to sleep in silence.
Dearest, would you please send me the lines of that play? I'm suspecting a conflict between the HS and the idea of the play itself. My request is just for personal research only. I want to try to understand what could have triggered such a dream. I thank you in advance.
shezmear

ptex listen to this link, this is a guy who has studied the subconscious, i have done and explored his work in the U.S, i think it might help you in your search to understand.

http://www.lauralee.com/index.cgi?pid=3345

Shezmear
By their deeds shall you know them.
J.C
Aisin

Robanan (& Lena), please go ahead with your research on the play & the dream if you want to. And if you have any findings to share, please do.

However, recalling from my experience, content of a dream may not be directly related to what takes place during the same period of sleep, or right before it. For example, I had had a perfectly ordinary day, and then at night had a dream about very pleasant / unpleasant incidents, which cannot be traced back to the acitivities in the day. And a few years back, I watched a horror movie, and then slept soundly at night, but only dream about the horror movie two nights after that, and i wasn't even thinking about that movie during the two days after that.