The Gospel of Judas?

Official information, announcements and interviews in the press, on TV, radio.

Moderator: Moderators

Frozn

The Gospel of Judas?

http://www.spiritual-nirvana.com/2006/03/14/gospel-of-judas-to-be-unveiled-april-6/ wrote: An ancient Gnostic manuscript written in Coptic is to be unveiled to the world by National Geographic on April 6. It is the Gospel of Judas, one of a series of Gospels which were not included in the Biblical canon because they were deemed too mystical. They also diverged from the story decided on by the Church in the 4th century.

Only 26 pages of the disintegrating manuscript are available, but the contents are said to be explosive. From this perspective Judas Iscariot is seen as a friend of Jesus who helps him fulfil his divine mission and the Biblical prophesies of the Old Testament.

In the text, Christ asks Judas to betray him with the words: “You will become the apostle cursed by all the others. Judas, you will sacrifice this body of man which clothes me.”

That Jesus speaks of the body as a garment which clothes him, presupposes “his” existence apart from the body. Since the Roman church does not believe in the pre-existence of the soul and assumes that the body is resurrected, this is clearly a mystical step too far for Catholicism.

The Coptic text (the ancient language of Egyptian Christians) is thought to be a 4th-century translation of an earlier Greek book. Tests have confirmed its authenticity.
This should be interesting. Thought's on posting excerpts of it on here? Thao spoke of "wearing" a physical body in TP several times. It should be interesting to note this new text's correlation.
Know what is in front of your face, and what is hidden from you will be disclosed to you. For there is nothing hidden that will not be revealed. - Gospel of Thomas
shezmear

Only 26 pages of the disintegrating manuscript are available???

why only 26?
By their deeds shall you know them.
J.C
InfoSource

Shezmear wrote:Only 26 pages of the disintegrating manuscript are available???

why only 26?
The answer from Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_Judas
According to Rudolf Kasser, the codex originally contained 62 pages; but when it came to the market in 1999, only 26 pages remained because individual pages had been removed and put up for sale. From time to time, these missing pages appear and are identified.
Frozn

PDF Version of the Gospel of Judas:

[link on request]

As far as I know, this file is strictly copyrighted, but is worth a read. It sounds authentic to me. Tell me what you think

edited by Yothu 08/04/06: removed link
Know what is in front of your face, and what is hidden from you will be disclosed to you. For there is nothing hidden that will not be revealed. - Gospel of Thomas
anonymousbeing

Difficult to read. Don't think it contains important information. Gospel of Thomas is the best of the best of all Gospels.
InfoSource

I didn't find anything revealing about the Gospel of Judas, the Gospel of Thomas was more interesting since it had tough parables to figure out

There seems to be many different accounts of Jesus, there are 50 different gospels according to Wikipedia, and only four are considered mainstream church teaching, (Matthew, Mark, Luke, & John) with the rest either lost in time or considered Gnostic gospels

If you want to read more on the Gnostic gospels you can find them on this link

http://www.gnosis.org/library/gs.htm
Robanan

I have also downloaded and been reading this gospel of judas, didn't find anything intresting or relevant in it, there are whole lines and sentences missing which makes it impossible to extract any understandable information from it. My impression is that the whole sensation of the appearance of this crafting is just to serve the purposes of a few.
Frozn

Robanon wrote:My impression is that the whole sensation of the appearance of this crafting is just to serve the purposes of a few.
Interesting. I have heard from others that the gospel does not contain much or any new information, but I have not heard anything about it being crafted. It dates back to the 3rd/4th century, and as I read it, a few choice excerpts rang out from it, not only did I believe it to be authentic, but I believe it is also worth reading. Does this sound crafted to you? If so I'd like to understand why.
Robanan

In the news here we heard that the Gospel of Judas approves Judas of his actions, as if it's some kind of evidence in favour of judas, from my readings of the gospel I got the same impression, so it seems to me that there is much more to what's behind the scene and the media.

As I understand it was recovered from private collections, whose private collections? can it be another cult of some sort? who recovered it? why make a sensation about it in the media? What are people making out of it in general?
survivor

Does anyone know if 'The Gospel of Thomas' is available in e-book version?
Frozn

survivor, yes it is, and I have a copy. You can either search for it on the internet, or you can PM me your email address and I can send it to you.
Rezo

I feel the gospel of Judas certainly helps to possibly make clearer how Jesus wanted to show people with very thick skepticism and earthly-lives, beyond the shadow of any doubt, with *physical proof* being the popular evidence of our spiritual reality, what afterlife/astral body is, and that it exists for everyone and its up to themselves, even in this life, to direct it - not clergy and even tyrranical politics, and not the myriad fears they produce on death, and life.

Of course the spiritual lessons go far beyond the historical events surrounding his crucifixion but of course the popular forms of christianity [generality of course - there are always exceptions, and counterexamples i.e. other religions] centers around this, and not the message HE wanted to send and physical clues he left were meant actually to point to *that. Which is why physical proof is never enough, and often, just distracting [especially for us today].

The text seems to say that Jesus wanted Judas to turn him in, for without that, perhaps he would not have been killed, and the teaching therefore would not really register w/people as much, since religion and culture appreciated the meaning of sacrifice then as a significant thing. Maybe I should take some time to read it. Can I, or are only small parts of it released/legible?

yet today we are told in TP our societies have regressed to a point worse than 2000+ years ago in Israel ... perhaps this text can change that a little bit. The truth never stays buried forever....I guess this gospel could be useful for those who focus their faith in the prevailing tradition including crucifixion history ..... perhaps it could open up a starting point for those in that frame of mind to begin asking questions. Then again I suppose the secret gospels of thomas john etc discovered earlier in the 20th century were downplayed as being 'forgeries' over and over maybe big clergy [big business religion] will try the same denial tactic.
TempUser

Re: The Gospel of Judas?

Rezo wrote:I feel the gospel of Judas certainly helps to possibly make clearer how Jesus wanted to show people with very thick skepticism and earthly-lives, beyond the shadow of any doubt, with *physical proof* being the popular evidence of our spiritual reality, what afterlife/astral body is, and that it exists for everyone and its up to themselves, even in this life, to direct it - not clergy and even tyrranical politics, and not the myriad fears they produce on death, and life.

Of course the spiritual lessons go far beyond the historical events surrounding his crucifixion but of course the popular forms of christianity [generality of course - there are always exceptions, and counterexamples i.e. other religions] centers around this, and not the message HE wanted to send and physical clues he left were meant actually to point to *that. Which is why physical proof is never enough, and often, just distracting [especially for us today].

The text seems to say that Jesus wanted Judas to turn him in, for without that, perhaps he would not have been killed, and the teaching therefore would not really register w/people as much, since religion and culture appreciated the meaning of sacrifice then as a significant thing. Maybe I should take some time to read it. Can I, or are only small parts of it released/legible?

yet today we are told in TP our societies have regressed to a point worse than 2000+ years ago in Israel ... perhaps this text can change that a little bit. The truth never stays buried forever....I guess this gospel could be useful for those who focus their faith in the prevailing tradition including crucifixion history ..... perhaps it could open up a starting point for those in that frame of mind to begin asking questions. Then again I suppose the secret gospels of thomas john etc discovered earlier in the 20th century were downplayed as being 'forgeries' over and over maybe big clergy [big business religion] will try the same denial tactic.
Nicely said Rezo :thumleft:

Yes unfortunately much of the coptic text was disintegrated by the time it was finally available for interpretation and archiving. So not a whole lot of it was translated. Yet the implications of what text was still legible stretch far and wide enough to provide relevant proof much of which supports TP....timing really is everything.

This reminds me of the different variations that I've found of the line in Frozn's quote from line 5 the Gospel of Thomas...
"and there is nothing covered that shall remain without being exposed"
from PDF file, or
"For there is nothing concealed which shall not be manifest, {and nothing buried that shall not be raised¹}"
-Exact excerpt from the Gospel of Thomas both which relatively say the same thing.

I myself still have yet to read this particular Gospel, I'm currently working my way through Thomas and no doubt it is full of beautiful gems, so to speak. :) I came across this when searching for other translations of Thomas....

The Gospel of Judas is considered another gnostic gospel and I think there are more similarities other than their reason for being shunned...The aforementioned documentary briefly covers what happened in regards to how it was found and what it may mean. Half an hour into this movie and you will find yourself hearing one of THE most important messages stated in that documentary which is not too different than that of which we've heard in Thiaoouba Prophecy. I'm still watching it but that part (30:30 to 31:05) really touched my heart!

Kind regards, :kiss:

AaronNZM