Nuclear reactor at the core of the Earth?

Discussion on preserving Nature: preventing the pollution, destruction and disbalancing of the finely-tuned natural ecosystems on our planet.

Moderator: Moderators

bomohwkl

Nuclear reactor at the core of the Earth?

Title: Nuclear reactor at the core of the Earth! - A solution to the riddles of relative abundances of helium isotopes and geomagnetic field variability
Author(s): Rao KR
Source: CURRENT SCIENCE 82 (2): 126-127 JAN 25 2002
Document Type: Editorial Material
Title: Substructure of the inner core of the Earth
Author(s): Herndon JM
Source: PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 93 (2): 646-648 JAN 23 1996
Document Type: Article
Language: English
Cited References: 29 Times Cited: 13
Abstract: The rationale is disclosed for a substructure within the Earth's inner core, consisting of an actinide subcore at the center of the Earth, surrounded by a subshell composed of the products of nuclear fission and radioactive decay. Estimates are made as to possible densities, physical dimensions, and chemical compositions. The feasibility for self-sustaining nuclear fission within the subcore is demonstrated, and implications bearing on the structure and geodynamic activity of the inner core are discussed.
Title: Thermal and magnetic evolution of the Earth's core
Author(s): Labrosse S
Source: PHYSICS OF THE EARTH AND PLANETARY INTERIORS 140 (1-3): 127-143 NOV 28 2003
Cited References: 55 Times Cited: 13
Abstract: The magnetic field of the Earth is generated by convection in the liquid-core and the energy necessary for this process comes from the cooling of the core which provide several buoyancy sources. The thermodynamics of this system is used to relate the Ohmic dissipation in the core to all energy sources and to model the thermal evolution of the core. If the same dissipation is maintained just before the onset of inner-core crystallization, and the associated compositional convection, as at present, a much larger heat flow at the core mantle boundary (CMB) is necessary which, if extrapolated backward, may require a very high initial temperature. Two solutions to that problem are studied: either the Ohmic dissipation was smaller then, which could be maintained with the same heat flow as at present or an important radioactivity is present in the core. The presence of radioactivity in the core makes the inner core only a few hundred million years (Ma) older than non-radioactive cases with the same dissipation, because the low efficiency of radioactive heating requires a much larger heat flow at the core mantle boundary. Although the age of the inner core is controlled by the heat flow at the CMB, the Ohmic dissipation to be maintained is the constraint that makes it low.
bomohwkl

Title: Geo-neutrinos: a short review
Author(s): Fiorentini G, Lissia M, Mantovani F, Vannucci R
Source: NUCLEAR PHYSICS B-PROCEEDINGS SUPPLEMENTS 143: 53-59 JUN 2005
Cited References: 29 Times Cited: 3
Abstract: Geo-neutrino detection will determine the amount of long lived radioactive elements within our planet and fix the debated radiogenic contribution to the terrestrial heat. In addition, it will provide a direct test of the Bulk Silicate Earth model, a fundamental cosmochemical paradigm about the origin of the Earth. Unorthodox models of Earth's core (including the presence of potassium or the possibility of a giant reactor) can also be checked. This short review presents status and prospects of the field.
Title: Quest for a nuclear georeactor
Author(s): de Meijer RJ, van der Graaf ER, Jungmann KP
Source: RADIATION PHYSICS AND CHEMISTRY 71 (3-4): 769-774 OCT-NOV 2004
Cited References: 29 Times Cited: 1
Abstract: Knowledge about the interior of our planet is mainly based on the interpretation of seismic data from earthquakes and nuclear explosions and of composition of meteorites. Additional observations have led to a wide range of hypotheses on the heat flow from the interior to the crust, the abundance of certain noble gases in gasses vented from volcanoes and the possibility of a nuclear georeactor at the centre of the Earth. This paper focuses on a proposal for an underground detector set-up to develop further antineutrinos as a tool to map the distribution of radiogenic heat sources, such as the natural radionuclides and the hypothetical nuclear georeactor.
Vesko

Bomo, do any of these papers suggest that the reactor may explode in the near or foreseeable future, as Tom Chalko theorises?
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
bomohwkl

Unfortunately, there is none. I think they might not have linked the consequence of over-heating of the core as the result of global warming.

Extract from Quest for a nuclear georeactor
........including the thermal conductivity of the mantle silicates yields a heat flow of 0.04–0.08W/m2, leading to a total heat flow from the core of 6–12TW (Buffett, 2003); a considerable part of the estimated total heat flow from the Earth of 40–50 TW.The total heat flow at the core-mantle boundary raises vital questions about the thermal evolution of the core and its heat sources in relation to power required to maintain the magnetic field.Radiogenic elements like 40K are thought to play an essential role (Rama Murthy et al., 2003).In his paper Buffett concludes that ‘‘the thermal state of the core remains unclear and that better knowledge of the partitioning of all radiogenic elements between various reservoirs in the planet will help to reduce some ambiguity.
Another ambiguity concerns on the chemical composition of the various compartments or reservoirs and especially the core.In general one assumes that there is a liquid Fe–Ni alloy core, surrounded by a lower and upper mantle and covered by a crust.The bulk composition of the Earth is usually assumed to be the same as that of chondritic eteorites.Within this assumption subsequent hypotheses are made to account for observations at the Earth’s surface.An intriguing issue is the presence of helium in our atmosphere and in particular its isotope 3He.Whereas 4He is continuously produced by alpha decay, the only way to obtain 3He is either as a primordial relict (e.g. Seta et al., 2001) or by decay of tritium........................
bomohwkl

Title: Nuclear georeactor origin of oceanic basalt He-3/He-4, evidence, and implications
Author(s): Herndon JM
Source: PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 100 (6): 3047-3050 MAR 18 2003
Cited References: 27 Times Cited: 13
Abstract: Nuclear georeactor numerical simulation results yield substantial He-3 and He-4 production and He-3/He-4 ratios relative to air (R-A) that encompass the entire 2-SD (2sigma) confidence level range of tabulated measured He-3/He-4 ratios of basalts from along the global spreading ridge system. Georeactor-produced He-3/He-4 ratios are related to the extent of actinide fuel consumption at time of production and are high near the end of the georeactor lifetime. Georeactor numerical simulation results and the observed high He-3/He-4 ratios measured in Icelandic and Hawaiian oceanic basalts indicate that the demise of the georeactor is approaching. Within the present level of uncertainty, one cannot say precisely when georeactor demise will occur, whether in the next century, in a million years, or in a billion years from now.
Underline is my emphasis. Cooling of inner core?
bomohwkl

Title: Deep-Earth reactor: Nuclear fission, helium, and the geomagnetic field
Author(s): Hollenbach DF, Herndon JM
Source: PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 98 (20): 11085-11090 SEP 25 2001
Cited References: 31 Times Cited: 13
Abstract: Geomagnetic field reversals and changes in intensity are understandable from an energy standpoint as natural consequences of intermittent and/or variable nuclear fission chain reactions deep within the Earth. Moreover, deep-Earth production of helium, having He-3/He-4 ratios within the range observed from deep-mantle sources, is demonstrated to be a consequence of nuclear fission. Numerical simulations of a planetary-scale geo-reactor were made by using the SCALE sequence of codes. The results clearly demonstrate that such a geo-reactor (i) would function as a fast-neutron fuel breeder reactor; (ii) could, under appropriate conditions, operate over the entire period of geologic time; and (iii) would function in such a manner as to yield variable and/or intermittent output power
bomohwkl

Title: Nuclear fission chain reactions of nuclides in the earth's core over billions of years
Author(s): Anisichkin VF, Bezborodov AA, Suslov IR
Source: ATOMIC ENERGY 98 (5): 352-360 MAY 2005
Cited References: 21 Times Cited: 0
Abstract: Numerical simulation is used to study the possibility of long-term chain nuclear reactions deep inside the Earth over 4 billion years. The active layer (the natural nuclear reactor operating on fast neutrons in lakes) can form when. uranium oxides or carbides precipitate from a liquid layer onto the Earth's solid interior core. A mechanism of uranium concentration in the Earth's core is studied, experiments are performed, and it is shown that a nuclear chain reaction with breeding of fissioning nuclides could have occurred in such a layer The basic neutron-physical characteristics of such a natural nuclear reactor are calculated. It most likely operates in a pulsed mode. The critical condition for the duration of the reaction is the power level. It is found that for certain optimal power this process in the Earth's core can last for more than 4 billion years up to the present time.
emphasis is mine
bomohwkl

Title: Recent concepts about heat source from the earth's core
Author(s): Sankaran AV
Source: CURRENT SCIENCE 83 (8): 932-934 OCT 25 2002
Document Type: Editorial Material

Cited References: 26 Times Cited: 0
Heat from the interior of the earth is basic for several geological processes like plate tectonics, earthquakes, volcanism, mountain-building and more importantly, for propelling the geodynamo creating the magnetic field. The earth’s heat energy is believed to arise from the decay of radioactive elements present in the crust and the mantle, from primordial heat that is still left and from the secular cooling of the liquid outer core. Terrestrial heat flow is estimated to be about 45 TW (1 TW = 10^12 W) and of this, radioactive heat, which must have been much more in early earth times, accounts for about 30 TW presently........

You can access all the papers published in CURRENT SCIENCE on
http://www.ias.ac.in/currsci/

If you want any papers above ...just e-mail me.
bomohwkl

Title: FEASIBILITY OF A NUCLEAR-FISSION REACTOR AT THE CENTER OF THE EARTH AS THE ENERGY-SOURCE FOR THE GEOMAGNETIC-FIELD
Author(s): HERNDON JM
Source: JOURNAL OF GEOMAGNETISM AND GEOELECTRICITY 45 (5): 423-437 1993
Cited References: 63 Times Cited: 15
Abstract: Ideas have previously been advanced suggesting the possibility that uranium exists within the Earth's core. In the present paper, evidence is presented for the existence within the Earth's core of substantial quantities of uranium and thorium. The concept of an accumulation of uranium in the core of the Earth functioning as a nuclear fission breeder reactor is presented. Means for concentrating actinide elements within the Earth's core and for separating actinide elements from reactor poisons are disclosed. Nuclear reactor feasibility is demonstrated by Fermi's k(infinity) in excess of unity for times in the geological past. The concept that the Earth's geomagnetic dynamo is driven by nuclear fission energy is discussed as is the concept that the frequent, but irregular, polarity reversals of the geomagnetic field have their origins in intermittent nuclear reactor output. Although great uncertainty exists in estimates of the abundances of the actinide elements in the core of the Earth and in details of the chemistry of the core, the results of the present paper indicate if uranium and thorium exist in the core of the Earth as elements or compounds, as evidence indicates, the actinides: (1) would be the most dense matter in the Earth; (2) would tend to concentrate at the center of the Earth; (3) would tend to be separated on the basis of density from less dense reactor poisons; and (4) if accumulated 3000 million years ago, would be able to initiate self-sustaining nuclear fission chain reactions which may continue to the present through fuel breeding reactions. The magnitude of available nuclear fission energy release throughout geological time is of major geophysical importance and is more than sufficient to power the geomagnetic field.
Rezo

its simple really. the core has to release the heat it produces somehow -- but if atmospheric pollutants block its release, eventually the buildup will be to a point where the heat inside the core cant even get out.

Its probably a very specific kind of radiation that gets released, I'm guessing.

Anyone measure underground temps of crust yet?? I'm hoping that the Earth is able to naturally counteract this overheat [volcanoes].

Does anyone know how to calculate the 'date' of the point of no return??
Rezo

Id like to understand more about the materials in the core, they are super-dense. As Tom mentioed in his paper. What type of reactions are created in there - I think its important to know about the way it maintains its operation, and, more importantly, the way in which it releases heat out to the atmosphere.

As in, how does it pass through each layer, all the way to the atmosphere and beyond?
To put it more plainly, how does raising the surface temp change the dynamic of core heat-release?? Does it do anything, is it negligible, is it a different type of reaction than the one of global warming that we are shown in all the slideshows we've seen??

Once we have such a proof, which of course is a popular thing in the skeptic crowd, we can start showing this in public lectures to add a different idea to the global warming crowds on earth day next year. This clarification could prove to be helpful, if indeed it can be better explained.
bomohwkl

After forwarding the Tom's paper to several volcanologists, their reactions are generally negative.
bomohwkl

Re: Nuclear reactor at the core of the Earth?

This is one of the scientists on earth core who takes years to reply to me.

[quote]For years people have encouraged me to write a book, to “put it all together”, but until recently there were too many pieces missing. Now, there are enough pieces in place to describe my view of Earth, its internal composition, energy sources, origin, and behavior, in a way that makes sense, logically and causally. The result is a presentation unlike the textbook picture that is based upon deep-rooted blunders, uncorrected by consensus-only, reviewed-in-secret, government-funded, establishment scientists.

Maverick's Earth and Universe begins at the foundations of knowledge and progresses step-by-step so that the reader can understand, not simply believe. I reveal the way science should work, including a methodology more fundamental than the so-called scientific method, and describe techniques to use for making discoveries, which are not found in any textbook.

In the book I disclose the decades-old major blunder that underlies astrophysics, and point to a wholly different way to envision the Universe.

Maverick’s Earth and Universe is now available from Trafford Publishing http://www.trafford.com/08-0028 In a few months it will be available through other outlets.

Enjoy.

Marvin[/quote]
Rezo

I remember when I listened to JM Herndon's interview on coasttocoast am [still have it on audiocassette, taped that show actually] must have been 2004 or 2005...anyway, I remember somebody called in and asked a pretty unusual question...it went something like, 'if the core is nuclear, is there a danger aliens might come and overheat the thing' . The question really went something like that...when I heard it I was like, "what?" then I remembered well it could be someone who believes malevolent ETs might be 'up to something' [blame the spooky aliens?]. Either way...I remember thinking that was weird. dismissal naturally was rapid and I recall no specific comments were made either, suggesting climate change/ [atmospheric over-insulation of certain gases] having a role.

Anyway, also, just found an article, several years old, round 2005:

http://www.climatechange.com.au/2005/08 ... tists-say/

whether this information is relevant or not I cant say. But hopefully it raises awareness about the core in general, enough perhaps that some scientists who blew Dr. C's paper off will take a 2nd look?

In an off-hand way I am reminded of the movie 'know1ng' w/nick cage. But that was about very strong solar storms not the core [only one scientist he knew in the film was willing to look at some of the data he showed him, and not until it was sort of too late]. Hm are there any threads discussing solar storms, I know dr michio kaku mentioned something about these picking up round 2011, being stronger than previously thought. Ill try and find a link to that...
Rezo

fascinating theory about what the sun may contain [and comments about center of earth, on youtube link]:

http://pantheoanimist.com/

"An Empty Sun: Is Gravity Being Induced?" Stephen P Goodfellow

I found it quite interesting. Although I find his video 'why is seti not receiving signals?' a bit bleaker and don't quite share that view.