Too tight

News, announcements and technical support for the forum. Report any related problem and be sure it is going to be solved :).

Moderator: Moderators

Alisima

Too tight

In a recent post of mine I typed the famous expression "what the h-e-l-l". This wasn't allowed. Isn't this language filter perhapse a bit too tight??
Don't read my signature.
VeskoP

"Hell" is allowed, but not that expression. Don't you agree that the latter is undesirable?
"Man exists physically for the sole purpose to develop spiritually" -- let us all really remember this when we think what to do next.
shezmear

It is funny, when I talk I am known to use four letter words every second sentence but never really feel very comfortable writing or saying it publicly, I even feel a little uncomfortable writing the initials BS, although I have done it on a number of accusations, guess it really depends on who you are around, nothing worse then being inappropriate or being around someone that is inappropriate :-k
By their deeds shall you know them.
J.C
Alisima

What is the negativity in the phrase "what the h-e-l-l"?? To me it means either something along the lines of "I don't care" or as a verbal reaction to a shock.

Anyhow, words are just words. None of them are undesirable. They all have their function otherwise they would not be there.

If someone likes to curse, let him. If someones hates cursing, let him. They both need to grow up.

Curse words are there because their are being oppressed. Because there is a taboo on some words people like using them because of the taboo they have.

A while ago my nephew said "shut up" to me. Which isn't that suprising in this world, but he his only 5 years old. Anyhow, normally someone would say to him that that isn't allowed. And I was planning to do the same thing, but in a flash of a second I realised that that would only aggravate the whole situation. Simply because he noticed the reaction in me and will use it in the future to create more reactions in me. That is why curse words are used. The one who curses realises that he provokes a reaction in someone and because of that he will use it again and again. So, instead of denying him (my nephew) that freedom I changed my whole additude and loosed up. Then he asked something along the lines of "are you offended by that?" To which I ofcourse said "no, it are just some words".

It is ironic that all these good-doers who want to get rid of curse words actually are the cause of them. The only way to get rid of cursing is to allow it. Then all the curse words loose their power and seeing that they are now powerless people won't use them.

You don't want offensive language. But I say you create offensive language by being offended. It sound weird but those who feel offended by offensive language create offensive language themselves by being offended.

Same with the word SEX. It is just a word, but it has so much power. That is because we give it power. Release it.
Don't read my signature.
Lena

The only way to get rid of cursing is to allow it. Then all the curse words loose their power and seeing that they are now powerless people won't use them.
I don't think that's necessarily true in all cases. one of my friends uses the f word in practically every sentence. it doesn't phase me. he still uses it, though.
Yothu

Let's keep the discussion useful. I am sorry for removing a post, but am sure the creator can grasp why I removed it.

Edit: Removed another post, I am sorry. There is nothing subjective about "strong speech" on this board. We got a filter for it and it is there for a reason.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got.
InfoSource

Re: Too tight

Alisima wrote:In a recent post of mine I typed the famous expression "what the h-e-l-l". This wasn't allowed. Isn't this language filter perhapse a bit too tight??
I guess it's up to Vesko on what type of language is to be used/not used, he doesn't want this forum to turn into flame wars, where sometimes as you said people use curse words to provoke people, and in an argument things can get heated and allowing curse words to be used can bring down the level of discussion on this forum to a school yard level
Alisima wrote:Curse words are there because their are being oppressed. Because there is a taboo on some words people like using them because of the taboo they have.
I agree with that, but I think it's fine having curse words as taboo, if it was normal (normal as in open) to use those words then adult oriented movies, TV shows, and music would not be as popular

If rap music didn't have the amount of swearing, use of the N word, and references to gangster life, all taboo stuff then kids wouldn't be into it

Curse words are entertaining in some contexts, inappropriate in others; use of them in this forum would go into the latter category
Alisima

InfoSource wrote:I guess it's up to Vesko on what type of language is to be used/not used, he doesn't want this forum to turn into flame wars, where sometimes as you said people use curse words to provoke people, and in an argument things can get heated and allowing curse words to be used can bring down the level of discussion on this forum to a school yard level
(The next respond is not to you personally)
If it is just the curse-filter which is preventing discussions from going sour. Then I say those discussions aren't even worth having. If all that is protecting this place into a flame war is a simple curse-filter, I would say we are even worse than we think. If the curse filter is the only difference between this forum and a inflammable school yard discussion, then what the h*ll is this??

Open up yourself.

Just a little experiment. Whatever happens just keep the curse-filter disabled for 31 days. No matter what happens. I would love to see this. It is what is known as freedom.
Lena wrote:I don't think that's necessarily true in all cases. one of my friends uses the f word in practically every sentence. it doesn't phase me. he still uses it, though.
I am sorry Lena, I responded but unfortunatly someone made the judgement of deleting my post. Somehow he must have been afraid of what I was saying. That it would damage something. Otherwise I cannot see why he would have deleted it.

What is a discussion when you are not allowed to say everything?? Imagine all that gets lost when you tell a painter that he can use all colors except blue, for instance. Or a writer who can use all letters except the 'L', for instance.

If my inner thought is full with curse words, let them come out. Then it will be easier to see what kind of man I am as when I cover it up. Then it will be easier to say "hmm, perhapse he isn't the best kind of man to keep around here." Or "hmm, at least he is open and honest."

No, instead there are people here who decided what can and can't be said. Isn't this a place for individual growth where people themselves see what they can and can't say??

Open up the borders, man. What is there to loose?? Ahh, your self-image. Hahaha.
Don't read my signature.
Yothu

What exactly are you trying to say, Alisima?

You're not comfortable with me having removed your post?
Well, you needn't play around with analogies of words but can write me/any other moderator a PM the next time (if) it happens. There you may enjoy full freedom of speech.

For detailed information on our forum rules, please read our Terms Of Use.
VeskoP

Alisima, using expletives is bad, and I am sure about it. When something is surely bad, it ought to be forbidden, so that it doesn't hurt others who don't know it's bad and at the same time those others ought to be educated about why exactly it is bad, so they do not feel tempted to try it out.

You yourself seem to agree that using such a language is bad indeed, so why do you want me to turn off the filter?

[Edit on 2006-06-28: I have self-corrected a part of the first paragraph -- please read my second next post on this topic.]
Last edited by VeskoP on Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Man exists physically for the sole purpose to develop spiritually" -- let us all really remember this when we think what to do next.
Lena

why is it so bad? they're just words. it's only your opinion that they're "bad".
(I'm not trying to argue with you I'm just saying)
VeskoP

They are not just words. When you use an expletive, you attempt to "lower" the thing you use it at, so that you can seem "higher". Think for yourself and you'll see that I'm right, that it's not just my opinion.
Alisima

In this book Vesko, as I probably imagine you got it from, does it also states how expletives come into existence??

The one mistake God made was telling to adam and eve NOT to eat the fruit of the tree of knowledge.

If you say to a child he ought not the use the word f**k he WILL use it. Simply because it gives a certain 'vibe' to it due to the prohibition.

Another example: in 1920 the US forbid the sale of alcoholic beverages. Although the whole thing was meant for good reason it actually increased the sale of alcoholic beverages. Why? Because it had become attractive due to the fact that it wasn't allowed.

In the same way expletives are born, because someone oppresses them. It is cristal clear.
Vesko wrote:When you use an expletive, you attempt to "lower" the thing you use it at, so that you can seem "higher".
And when not using expletives it suddenly becomes impossible to lower something??

What about a politician, or a King, or a millionair?? I believe most of them feel higher to the common people. Do they swear a lot??

The attempt to lower something is the attempt of the ego. It is not solved by oppressing certain words but by a personal investigation into yourself. The reason people lower others is often to make themselves feel worthy, and that is because they themselves have an inferiority complex, which basically means a low selfesteem, a low self-image. Because of this low self-image they start to search for ways of bettering oneself. Lowering others is one way to do this. But nevertheless all attemps will fail because they are based on a false assumption. Instead of trying to make themselves better they should simply rectify their self-image. Anyhow, this is simply a neurosis and not a linguistic issue. Prohibiting certain words won't solve this problem only shove it deeper.

You must understand that curse words are only SYMPTOMS of a disease. It is not a disease in itself.
Don't read my signature.
Aisin

That is exactly why we need not disable the filter. Knowing that the filter is off, either being informed or discovered while posting one of those words, people may just post the words unnecessarily. It doesn't tell us how things would have been if the filter had not been there in the first place.
Alisima wrote:If it is just the curse-filter which is preventing discussions from going sour. Then I say those discussions aren't even worth having. If all that is protecting this place into a flame war is a simple curse-filter, I would say we are even worse than we think. If the curse filter is the only difference between this forum and a inflammable school yard discussion, then what the h*ll is this??
Discussions can still go sour without using curse words. Flame war can still happen with only polished words used. What keeps this forum decent is respectful attitude of the members, not the filter.
Yothu

Aisin wrote:Discussions can still go sour without using curse words. Flame war can still happen with only polished words used. What keeps this forum decent is respectful attitude of the members, not the filter.
I believe this posting of Aisin is a nice bright final chord to the topic.

Let's continue a debate on prohibitions in general and their psychological cause and effect or a discussion on semantics in an other, completely new thread. Feel free to start it!
Thread locked.