Jogging

This forum is intended to cater for topics that do not strictly relate to the book "Thiaoouba Prophecy", "She and I", and other closely related material.

Moderator: Moderators

Vesko

Jogging

I jog daily and it helps me greatly. As I have written in the past, it has helped me also with serious problems. Are there any other joggers here?
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
dloheb

Nope I play sports though.
InfoSource

Also not a jogger here, I do like to walk around a lot when I'm at home and thinking, I like to walk when I need to reflect on the day or think about an exciting topic that I can't sit around to do, I guess I'm too excited to think sitting and/or it's became a ingrained habit to think reflectively while walking, since I have been doing it from a young age.

I do plan on doing some exercise during the summer months starting with resistive training using dumbbells.
survivor

Yes, I too enjoy primitive exercise, however, mine is to peddle a bicycle. :D

In the past I enjoyed weight-lifting, But since I got a taste of Tibetan 5 rites I lost interest in defying gravity.
an act against {free will} is an act against nature
shezmear

used to jog a lot, not so much any more, i do a lot of excerise through out the week, jog about twice a week, make sure you run on grass and have really good shoes to protect your back and knees... :)
By their deeds shall you know them.
J.C
Lena

I don't like to sweat, so I walk instead of jog :)
Vesko

Sweating purifies. But don't overtax your heart and lungs. It's also too time consuming to walk many miles every day.
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
survivor

Considering jogging is related to fitness, so is my question.

Is it possible to be obese and then advance spiritually? There is a saying "healthy body healthy mind"....but seeing as I'm not over weight I do not know the answer. It's just a thought that jumped into my head. I know that obese people can remain intellectual...but to advance spiritually I do not know.....anyone?
Alisima

Haha, why not?? Have they committed a horrible sin?? No, I don't think so. Some have perhapse indulged too much and are affected by their cravings over food, others were born somewhat large. But all still can grow. Ehmm, spiritually that is :D
Don't read my signature.
survivor

Alisima, that was a half hearted attempt from you, a lean response. :)

Alisima you said "Some have perhapse indulged too much and are affected by their cravings over food"..now, are you referring to pregnant mother's, because they also have cravings. Those obese over indulge and/or are obsessed with food, surely this could be a hindrance to advancing spiritually/intellectually.
Robanan

it is a hindrance, most of the fat people I know are either religious or Atheists, most of them don't even know how to listen.
Alisima

survivor wrote:Alisima you said "Some have perhapse indulged too much and are affected by their cravings over food"..now, are you referring to pregnant mother's, because they also have cravings.
Pregnant mothers need to eat for two. But no, I wasn't referring to them. I simply meant, from a practical sense, that overeating is wasted energy/time. First you need to eat it all, which takes time, then you need to digest it all, that too takes time, and even before all that it needs to be bought, which, in an indirect way, takes time too. So all this overeating takes immense time and effort. Not to speak of all the physical and psychological diseases it may cause. Best is not to eat too much, nor too little. It is not so simple, however, for someone caught in overeating. I can very much understand the desire for food, simply because it being, next to water and air, one of the things which keeps us alive. In my personal opinion, however, every craving, whether to food, material or spiritual things, is one craving too many. (Ofcourse, what does craving mean...? Hmm, that is an whole other subject.)
survivor wrote:Those obese over indulge and/or are obsessed with food, surely this could be a hindrance to advancing spiritually/intellectually.
I don't know, but like I said, I don't think it is a hindrance. Or, to put it in a different perspective, everything can be a hindrance. It is not the case that you have a headstart if you happen to be of 'normal' weight. You might have other walls where you continuously bang your head against, who knows... It is all a personal matter and I don't think that comparing people with their potentialities of spiritual progress is a good thing. Especially since the whole spiritual progress is shrouded in mystery anyhow; that is, it is pretty vague. No one knows exactly what to do and what to don't. Ofcourse, I am not saying you can eat your way into heaven, but neither can you enter heaven by constantly pondering whether you have eaten enough, too little or too much. You should not be obsessed with food in both ways. Best thing to do is to establish a correct relationship with your body in which you know when to eat and when not to. (The pitfall ofcourse is the believe that you have such a relationship while in fact you haven't. That you think the body says "hmm, I'm hungry" when it is in fact simply sad.) Anyhow, I see no way why someone with an overweight shouldn't start a spiritual quest nor make progress for that matter.
survivor wrote:Those obese over indulge and/or are obsessed with food, surely this could be a hindrance to advancing spiritually/intellectually.
You used the spiritual in connection with the intellectual, surely this does not mean you think of them as being somewhat the same??
Robanan wrote:It is a hindrance, most of the fat people I know are either religious or Atheists, most of them don't even know how to listen.
That is a tautology you know, saying that someone is either religious or atheist. It is like saying "I only go out of my house either when it is dark or when it is light." Nevertheless, what about all those slim people?? Do they listen?? They don't either, for how else did they get fat?? You see, every fat person was at some time a slim one, even some slim ones have been, at some point, fat. So, if we neglect time (for the time being :)), fat people are slim people and slim people are fat people.
Don't read my signature.
Lena

obeseity and overeating are NOT optimal conditions for spiritual progression. if our body is constantly working extra hard to metabolize food and carry around extra fat, it doesn't leave as much resources for the development of the mind/spirit. ex: becoming lathargic after a big meal and needing to take a nap.
Haha, why not?? Have they committed a horrible sin?? No, I don't think so.
gluttony is one of the "seven deadly sins"
Psi

I used to jog about 10km a night but that was before a series of back injuries which still affect me today. I find that an hour's walk several times a week is just as effective for me - getting some clean air in the lungs and clearing the mind at the same time. Also, walking allows me to listen to my iPod (not music; I listen to interviews or audio books - and yes - at a sensible volume). :wink: And I always keep a tape recorder handy - whether walking, driving or just out and about.

Earl Nightingale, the late great US philosopher once said (paraphrase): Ideas are like gar fish. When you see them, you have to skewer them with a pencil before they swim away.

My tape recorder is my pencil.
"The unexamined life is not worth living."
~ Socrates
shezmear

Earl Nightingale, the late great US philosopher once said (paraphrase): Ideas are like gar fish. When you see them, you have to skewer them with a pencil before they swim away.

so true, I think Rald darld(I`m sure I spelt that wrong) had to write one of his ideas that he had about a book while driveing on the back of his car in the dust....I have found the same thing...there is place you get to were your ideas make sence( a moment of clarity), if you loose that place it very hard to revive the idea, you can but best to get it while it is hot.
By their deeds shall you know them.
J.C