Jogging

This forum is intended to cater for topics that do not strictly relate to the book "Thiaoouba Prophecy", "She and I", and other closely related material.

Moderator: Moderators

Psi

I've also found that when I have a problem - be it with my work (writing) or with life in general, going for a walk and simply talking to myself - into a tape recorder - is a great way to sort through issues. Sometimes there's no need to even play back the tape. Just airing views is enough. Other times, I have have forgotten about the tape then found it maybe a week or a month later, and be astounded at the wisdom, the insight.

I'm not, of course, blowing my own trumpet here; I'm just trying to make a point: You are the greatest guru, counsellor, teacher you'll ever know.

There's nothing wrong with talking to yourself. How do you expect to ever really know yourself until you do?..
"The unexamined life is not worth living."
~ Socrates
shezmear

This is funny,I talk to my self all day, But I never herd anybody say it is a good thing...:) I even talk to people that are not around me physically, I understand what it is, but I don`t really expect others to.

If you are ever in traffic, take a look around at all the people in the cars,sometimes you will see people just talking to them selves sorting stuff out.
By their deeds shall you know them.
J.C
Psi

I guess it's a 'natural' thing to do, especially when you don't have anyone else around. Ever since I swapped a busy office for working from home, I found that my level of self-chatter increased. But, when my wife joined me years later, the conversation became more two-sided. Thank God!

The case I was illustrating earlier was more related to nutting out problems versus casual convos with your 'other self'. But whatever works, works. :lol:
"The unexamined life is not worth living."
~ Socrates
bomohwkl

The time course of the human growth hormone response to a 6 s and a 30 s cycle ergometer sprint.

Stokes KA, Nevill ME, Hall GM, Lakomy HK.

Department of Physical Education, Sports Science and Recreation Management, Loughborough University, UK.

Exercise is a potent stimulus for the release of human growth hormone (hGH), but the time course of the hGH response to sprint exercise has not been studied. The aim of the present study was to determine the time course of the hGH response to a 6 s and a 30 s maximal sprint on a cycle ergometer. Nine males completed two trials, on one occasion performing a single 6 s sprint and on another a single 30 s sprint. They then rested on a couch for 4 h while blood samples were obtained. Three of the participants completed a further control trial involving no exercise. Metabolic responses were greater after the 30 s sprint than after the 6 s sprint. The highest measured mean serum hGH concentrations after the 30 s sprint were more than 450% greater than after the 6 s sprint (18.5 +/- 3.1 vs 4.0 +/- 1.5 microg l(-1), P < 0.05). Serum hGH also remained elevated for 90-120 min after the 30 s sprint compared with approximately 60 min after the 6 s sprint. There was a large inter-individual variation in the hGH response to the 30 s sprint. In the control trial, serum hGH concentrations were not elevated above baseline at any time. It would appear that the duration of a bout of maximal sprint exercise determines the magnitude of the hGH response, although the mechanism for this is still unclear.

PMID: 12137178 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE
]
Zio

Old topic @_@ To answer the first question, yes and no, I'm a half-jogger :P

I walk or jog home-to-school 4 times (I go back home to eat lunch) 10 minutes each weekdays (3 hours and 20 minutes per week). Usually I walk, because I'm thinking about something else and I don't realise I was outside until I come back home. But when crossing a road, I usually run. Or sometimes, I do a 5 minutes fast jogging, either I'm late for school or just wanted to go back home sooner :P So I do a mix of walking, jogging and running everyday since I was in Secondary, and I'm starting my 4th year :wink:

For 2 years, I've been playing Basketball like crazy, 3 hours of practice 2 times in weekdays at school for my team, and 1 more 3 hours saturday morning at 7am with my friends :D Unfortunately, my schoolteam made me sick of that game and I stopped this school year. Now I do NO SPORT AT ALL except in my gym class and ping-pong 1 hour a week.