Are you afraid to ask questions on this forum?

News, announcements and technical support for the forum. Report any related problem and be sure it is going to be solved :).

Moderator: Moderators

VeskoP

Are you afraid to ask questions on this forum?

Someone who shall remain anonymous, unless they wish to reveal their identity themselves, has told me a few months ago that people are afraid to ask questions on this forum. Is that so? Has it ever been so? If so, why? If so, and why is answered, how can the situation be remedied?
"Man exists physically for the sole purpose to develop spiritually" -- let us all really remember this when we think what to do next.
Lena

maybe they're afraid that other forum members will think they've asked a stupid question.
I've personally never felt like this. I don't have any ideas on how to make other's feel more comfortable.
Yothu

Have many people reported to be afraid of asking questions or has it been a single one? Should the former be correct then we should evaluate if our mode of communication is lively or drifts into aggression with the need for defense. Careful choice of words and the appropriate mental state (in order one has been upset by a response/posting or in any other way got agitated - it might be a good idea to let pass some hours or days maybe; the forum waits for your input) is something everybody has to consider if fruitful communication is wanted to take place.

In the past arguments have taken place - we're all human -, but I think in comparison to other internet boards with many (and very different) people taking part this board on goldenplanet.com hauls out with its warm welcomes and friendliness.

Besides, questions can be asked as a guest-user where you don't need to sign up and go through the hurdle of registering as a member. I cannot remember any case in which a question has not been at least tried to answer or any reference to another source of information has not been given.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got.
dloheb

I think this problem happens on all forums as a general rule.. it causes boredom, personally, but oh well...
Alisima

I would love to see more questions :D

But still, as long as people formulate question for themselves, i.e., if they keep questioning, then they are getting closer to an answer. It need not be public.

A good remedy perhapse, albeit a bit clumsy, is to post questions ourselves. It is not difficult to do so.

Where do all the souls come from?? There are at least six billion now, not counting animals etc., but how much are there?? Where do they reside?? Besides, when we say "I have a soul", who is this I which has a soul??

Do I think about what my next thought is going to be?? And if I do, do I in turn think about that?? And if I don't think about my next thought, for where does it come when it comes?? Am I responsible for my thought or is my thought responsible for the sense of I??

Is God being egoistic when he says "I am the best"??
Don't read my signature.
survivor

Re: Are you afraid to ask questions on this forum?

VeskoP wrote:Someone who shall remain anonymous, unless they wish to reveal their identity themselves, has told me a few months ago that people are afraid to ask questions on this forum. Is that so? Has it ever been so? If so, why? If so, and why is answered, how can the situation be remedied?
Hmm...2 questions in 1 derived from another. Could you give us more clues, some leadind q's?
an act against {free will} is an act against nature
VeskoP

Thank you for your feedback. Needless to say, feel free to post on this topic any time if you think there are problems in this regard.

As Alisima said, we would love to see more questions asked on the forum.

Also, it is very important to remember that if you think you have been treated inappropriately, you should not hesitate to contact one or more moderators or administrators and/or start a topic in the support forum. Do not keep the problem to yourself -- there are people willing to help resolve the problem, and this has happened successfully a number, if not many times before. And, please establish the contact as early as possible, so that the problem can be prevented from deepening -- this is really important. I have created a separate sticky topic to emphasise all this, please contribute if you see fit.
Yothu wrote:Have many people reported to be afraid of asking questions or has it been a single one.
A single one.
survivor wrote:Hmm...2 questions in 1 derived from another. Could you give us more clues, some leadind q's?
Survivor, if the answer to the first question ("Is that so?") is negative, it's a single one. The rest are not to be answered.
"Man exists physically for the sole purpose to develop spiritually" -- let us all really remember this when we think what to do next.
dloheb

Might I also mention that topics added to this forum basically go no where? But this is the nature of such things.. just saying
VeskoP

What do you mean?
dloheb

Well since most people just lurk and don't share their input most threads have simply died even though they are no where near being "closed" cases, so to speak. Now this doesn't mean there's no point to the forums.. but it would be nice if such things were seen through.

I think most people don't like to post on new boards, no matter what the nature, unless they feel compelled to do so. That was the case with me, and I see new registrants and yet, no posts.
VeskoP

Whereas less than a dozen people participate regularly and semi-regularly on the forum, there have been between about 6000 to about 7000 unique visitors (as identified by different machines downloading at least a single page from the forum web site) for the last 3 months each.
dloheb

Yeah, it's too bad. But the fact this stuff is a little out there will put people off who have not throughly investigated it, or who have no interest in doing so. I think that the more active the current active members are, the better, because I think that if people see their questiopns will get answered, they might be more inclined to post.
VeskoP

Indeed, that is a very important point -- the more active we are, the better for those who are not. Yet, we should be careful not to do activity for activity's sake and worsen the forum as a result. And not to compromise our individual spiritual development in any other way, either, because that is going to harm or, in the best case, limit positive results for both oneself and others sooner or later.
dloheb

Yeah I agree
Psi

Think before you Type

Yothu wrote: Careful choice of words and the appropriate mental state (in order one has been upset by a response/posting or in any other way got agitated - it might be a good idea to let pass some hours or days maybe; the forum waits for your input) is something everybody has to consider if fruitful communication is wanted to take place.
Yes. I think the key here is courtesy and compassion. People are entitled to their opinion, to their belief system – and, of course, those who respond to those notions are entitled to their opinion, even if it’s contrary. We can – and do – all learn from the exchange.

But, again, let’s be courteous about it.

I realise that those who have found their way to TP and to this Forum are a cut above the rest. This is not faint praise. We have all thought deeply about the book, about our own spirituality, and we wish to know more. With that, comes passion. And, unfortunately, that passion can spill over into frustration and anger over issues, and that leads to personal insults and attacks.

Those who have been on the receiving end of this kind of vitriol do think twice about contributing, believe me. Also, I’d suggest, just reading a heated exchange between others would put many lurkers off entering the fray.
Yothu wrote:In the past arguments have taken place - we're all human -, but I think in comparison to other internet boards with many (and very different) people taking part this board on goldenplanet.com hauls out with its warm welcomes and friendliness.
Yes, you’re right. People are very welcoming in the beginning – but I would expect this Forum to be above the standard of others for the reason mentioned earlier.

There’s no point in trying to point score with anger – let’s just make our points with logic, common sense and knowledge. And let’s all remember to check our egos at the door.
"The unexamined life is not worth living."
~ Socrates