Movies thread 1: Horror (scary)

This forum is intended to cater for topics that do not strictly relate to the book "Thiaoouba Prophecy", "She and I", and other closely related material.

Moderator: Moderators

survivor

Movies thread 1: Horror (scary)

this thread is about horror/scary movies you like or have watched, if you like other movies ie; romantic/comedy/sci-fi etc.. then start another thread titled Movies:thread 2 category.

A short list to start;

Saw
------------------------------
Saw 2 (waiting for saw 3)
Hostel (typical Quentin Tarantino)
Wolf Creek
an act against {free will} is an act against nature
Alisima

Whenever you are watching a movie, any movie, don't forget to blink.
Don't read my signature.
Lena

My favorite movie used to be the Ring. I've watched it many times... I just loved the story.

I saw the texas chainsaw massacre in theatres but it was so greusome that I got a stomach ache and had to go to the bathroom a couple times to escape.

I don't watch horror movies anymore. I don't feel entertained by getting scared...

fear blocks logic
Alisima

Try to see the movie for what it is, a play of light. The fear is only superimposed by yourself. Become aware of the process by which you experience that fear. Whenever you get afraid, ask yourself how this has happened. When you will understand you won't be afraid anymore, unless you want it ofcourse...
Don't read my signature.
survivor

Lena wrote:
I don't watch horror movies anymore. I don't feel entertained by getting scared...

fear blocks logic
That's my problem, I don't get scared and I amazed that other people do, as Alisima said, it is only a play.

The Saw movies are very cleverly scripted.
dloheb

I don't like watching that stuff. I like comedy l o l

I have enough fear as it is, although it is getting better.
Yothu

I loved watching horror movies in my early teens.
Even now I enjoy it when I get surprised and scared... its a funny feeling to me: feeling scared and at the same time knowing that you are completely safe (when watching a movie).
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got.
bomohwkl

Horror movies are never my favorite. Before the crisis, I never feel anything from horror movies as i knew that i was not real. During the crisis, my best friend asked me to watch a horror movie with him. It kept reminding me the parallism of my horror in life. I don't watch horror movies anymore. There is enough horror in my life, I no need to be reminded during my period of 'entertainment".
Alisima

So you are saying that there is nothing wrong with horror movies, but you are just personally connecting them with something you yourself went through?? Hmm, I don't think horror movies, or any movie for that matter, should be viewed like that. Rather completely the opposite. They are meant to take your mind OFF of your life. They are meant as a tranquilizer; to go into and to completely forget the guy you are pretending to be. Though I understand this ideal picture is not always obtained, especially in a transition period, nevertheless, it should happen more often than not.
Don't read my signature.
bomohwkl

How interesting....using horror movie to tranquilize the horror of life. Probably that is your choice. I prefer to use inspirational movie to tranqulize the horror of life. I wonder how many people in this forum would agree the former. I also wonder why horror movie forum is initiated in this forum rather than something more psychological positive such as real life and inspirational movie.
Alisima

bomohwkl wrote:How interesting....using horror movie to tranquilize the horror of life. Probably that is your choice.
See it more as total emersion; that you are so 'into' the movie that you forget, not only all of your worries, but all of you too. And, to repeat myself, this goes not only for horror movies. Besides, just watch people in the theater, they are all so 'into' the movie that they completely forget their daily lives, worries or no worries. So it is not just to tranquilize the horror of life, but to tranquilize all, to momentarily forget everything; total emersion.
Don't read my signature.
Yothu

A good movie actually is likely to hypnotize you in a way. You indeed forget about yourself completely for the time watching.

Another thing that I remember is that the ancient Greek used the art form of tragedy in their amphitheatres to actually purge audience from the associated feelings that came with watching the play.

A good movie can be able to do just the same; in case of horror movies: get rid of your fear for example.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got.
Robanan

Silent Hill, The one and only extremely cleverly made horror movie that truly inspired me toward love and understanding, re-revealing the value of an open mind and live free of having the need for harrasing others with personal judgments.
survivor

Robanan wrote:Silent Hill, The one and only extremely cleverly made horror movie that truly inspired me toward love and understanding, re-revealing the value of an open mind and live free of having the need for harrasing others with personal judgments.
I can't say I've seen 'Silent Hill', I will check my local video store, however, what you have described above, you can almost put forth to the 'Saw' movies.

P.S Has anyone watched The Cube?
bomohwkl

People who choose to watch a horror movies for various reasons. The effect on horror movie on a person psyche is very dependent on the psychological state of the person. However, it seems that we could list a few here.

a) A sense of self-indulgence
b) Inspired for good act
c) Inspired for violence actions
d) Tensed and horrified
e) Felt nothing
f) Became more immune to horror scene- get rid of fear

On page 111.
‘Your television stations too, screen more and more scenes of violence. If those responsible were obliged to study psychology before being able to undertake such grave responsibilities, a step in the right direction would have been taken. Your reporters seem to seek and even prey on scenes of violence, murder,tragedy and disaster; we are sickened by their behaviour.
You are only looks at your own psycholgical response and have yet taken into account of other people reposenses.