Important: sharing of forum expenses among forum members

News, announcements and technical support for the forum. Report any related problem and be sure it is going to be solved :).

Moderator: Moderators

Would you like to contribute towards our forum's expenses? How?

1) In equal share with all other forum members independent of value
29%
2) Up to $25 USD maximum
No votes
3) Up to $50 USD maximum
No votes
4) Up to $75 USD maximum
43%
5) Not Interested at present in contributing
29%

Total votes: 7

ptex

Important: sharing of forum expenses among forum members

Dear forum members,

It is time to discuss a serious matter: the sharing of forum expenses among forum members.

For years now our friend Vesko has been covering all of the forum's expenses entirely on his own (not to mention ALL forum technical support and the handling of the vast majority of content management issues).

With the starting of a new admin staff in function, we felt it was high time to allow members to participate in the sharing of the forum expenses and relieving Vesko from unjustified burden.

Having said all this, as we said before, we'd like to propose the sharing of the forum expenses with all those who volunteer to do so.

Our most urgent expenses are regarding the web hosting services, totalling about $171.25 USD and which are to be paid until November 20, 2006. This is an annual payment to the web hosting company, and this price already includes all possible discounts.

The experience Vesko's been having with the current hosting company is outstanding. They provide great service quality and almost 100% reliability, and great support, highly professional and prompt. But the services are without any doubt too expensive for web sites that do not require such reliability. Such reliability means the web server and its email is up and running at practically any time you try to use it, minus any scheduled maintenance, which is rare and short in duration and is going to be announced in advance. Considering this, we think that the price is justified for this particular forum and web site. We all want to really maximise forum visitorship and membership, aren't we?

Apart from expenses that have to be made until November 20, there are expenses to be made for the domain name goldenplanetforum.com and the service needed to support this domain name. But they have been paid, earlier this year, till August next year, totalling 35 USD.

Do please state your preference. I'm keeping this topic open for 1 week and then we'll act on the results we have. Myself (Ptex) and Aisin we're obviously in :).

Meanwhile we'm looking for alternatives regarding the possibility to receive contributions from interested members. So far the best option we have is Paypal, but we're analysing other options too. You're welcome to state your preference here.

Once contributions are ready to start, we'll post an exact breakdown of the services needing payment, and you will also be able to verify all yourselves via the web host's web site.

We'll kindly wait your replies.

Warm regards,

Ptex & Aisin
Last edited by ptex on Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
shezmear

Re: Important: sharing of forum expenses among forum members

Set up a pay pal link, easy as well to set up and easy as hell to send money, I`ll put in...:)
By their deeds shall you know them.
J.C
ronald

Would it be possible to have it wire transfered to someone, that might be easy as well.
ptex

Re: Important: sharing of forum expenses among forum members

shezmear wrote:Set up a pay pal link, easy as well to set up and easy as hell to send money, I`ll put in...:)
Very good suggestion. I will do that but before I need to know how many forum members are in in order to calculate each person's contribution. As soon as I have more information, I'll post more details here together with the link / button :)
shezmear wrote:Would it be possible to have it wire transferred to someone, that might be easy as well.
Wire transfer is possible but there is something to take into account: there are expenses for both the issuer and receiver of the amount and I believe since this will be a small amount if we have enough number of members, maybe the expense don't compensate. For now I'd strongly suggest Paypal but this is not definitive, other payments will have to be transferred to paypal since we'll probably be using it to make the payment to the provider.

Something else I didn't mention so far but is important to know is that for receiving each individual contribution, paypal will charge me a fee of 3.4% + 0.35 € (Euros) per transaction.
Monthly Sales between €0.00 EUR and €2,500.00 EUR has a Price Per Transaction of 3.4% + €0.35 EUR. (the 3.4% applies for Portugal)
Aisin

To make it easier to tabulate the headcount, I've added a poll to this topic. For all those who have or have not indicated your interest, please vote.

Of course, in order to allow us to identify who the voters are and contact you accordingly, it's best to also make a post to identify yourself.

Although Ptex had expressed on my behalf, I'd just like to say the affirmative for myself, I'm in.
ptex

Poll on forum expense participation

That's a very good suggestion Aisin. Thanks for coming up with it: to have a poll on who agrees in sharing the expenses.

Actually I'll edit the poll to include a few more options.
Since different forum members have different possibilities, each can participate with different amounts to the global amount.

Thus I'll add the options for:
  • 1) Interested in sharing an equal share among all users independently of the number of people who join in

2) contribute up to $25 USD maximum

3) contribute with $50 USD maximum

4) contribute with $75 USD maximum

5) Not interested in contributing
After voting please identify yourself or if you wish to remain anonymous please PM or e-mail me:)

This thread will remain open up to the 17th November (23:59 GMT).
Then I'll contact each of the contributers individually confirming each amount and with details on how to make the payment (preferably it will be paypal), and in order to be in time to pay the provider, contributions will have to arrive up to the 19th November 2006. Payment is due on the 20th.

Thanks for your attention. And I look forward to hearing your opinions.
Zio

I just arrived here, but I would give if I could... I'm still a teen and have never used paypal or paid for anything over internet... I would gladly give my CAN$ by person ^^, but it's most unlikely to happen.
ptex

Hi Zio!
You are most welcome and your generosity and kindness are most appreciated.
Your participation in the forum can also be done, as you've already been doing, by contributing for a healthy discussion of the many available topics.
Enjoy your stay!
All the best!
The best portion of a good man's life is his little nameless unremembered acts of kindness and love.
~William Wordsworth
Leo

even though I don't have too much money I am willing to contribute, equal shares of active members sounds to me like a good spiritual community spirit :D
They have eyes, but they do not see - ears, but they do not hear...
ptex

Hi Leo!
Thanks for joining in! Very well said! :thumleft:
The more we are, the easier each individual payment will be :)
The best portion of a good man's life is his little nameless unremembered acts of kindness and love.
~William Wordsworth
bomohwkl

aiya...I think you miss another option. Contribution depends on the affordability of the person! Tell me how much do you need after all contributions from the members and I will cover the rest of it. Fringer crossed. I am unemployed at the moment.
ptex

Hi Bomo,
Thanks for your help and suggestion.

Actually the way I'm figuring out is to adjust each contribution according to what the person says, having in mind the overall value we need to pay the provider.

If there's enough of us and the individual contribution (in equal shares) goes below $25 that's great. Otherwise imagine when we divide by all and we reach a contribution of up to $50, for example, if someone mentioned a maximum of $25 then of course this person would never go beyond $25.

Also it's possible to contribute with value below $25 or of any other nature: all you have to do is mention it in a post here :D

I hope this makes sense, at least it was on my mind like this. Please let me know your comments in case you have doubts or suggestions.

I feel almost in the role of an auctioneer (in a reverse auction actually).. do I hear someone else joining in? hahaha :lol:
survivor

I'm unable to help with funds, but it is good to see that the forum will be here-for several more years to come. :)
an act against {free will} is an act against nature
Robanan

I still don't see the perspective of how I can help the forum materially, as yet I'm unemployed and don't have a job.
bomohwkl

I have selected Up to $75 USD maximum. However, if it is not enough to cover the rest, I can go beyond USD 75. I have a job inline. No need to worry. Unfortunately, my plan to visit Tom before the end of this year will not happen.