Past Life Regression

A place to discuss the higher self, chakras, meditation, spiritual healing, and other methods of healing.

Moderator: Moderators

Lachie

Past Life Regression

My boss had his past lives examined through hypnosis regression from a place near my work. I would LOVE to do the same but I am curious as to what you guys would think. I would be fascinated to learn of my past, which might give me a view on why i am here and which lessons I can focus on.

Lachie
God is a games designer =]
Marcus

Hi Lachie,

the way I see it is that you probably couldn't really learn all that much from it as you are under hypnosis. For me it would be a form of entertainment. I don't know how detailed past life regression is but what could you possibly learn if you said you were a Roman soldier, who lived to be 37? I think Pscyosphere would be a much better alternative, of course that is easier said than done.

I thought about past life regression and previous lives I lived and realised that obviously I didn't learn what I needed to learn and thus returned to "kindegarten" to learn what I missed. So seeing it in that light I realise there is no point in viewing my mistakes again (Thanks FOC book) :D
I think that there is enough information in our lives right now to let us know why we are here. Thaori gave a broad generalisation in the book saying that Earth is category one and we are here to learn basic social values.

What do you think?
It aint about who you love but do you love?

Michael Franti/Spearhead.
Meedan

I studied hypnosis for a few years when i was younger. I have seen that under hypnosis, it is possible to make up a whole story, and a whole life and history without knowing that you're making it up. For this reason, I'm very skeptical of some past life regressions through hypnosis.

With some accounts, there are things that make it obvious that it was made up: historically inaccurate details, contradictions with the way we know the universe works...

Unfortunately, it may be a fine line between making up experiences and viewing the past. It may be difficult to know which you're engaging in.
With Love
Leo

Past life memories are exactly the same as current life memories. Nice to remeber where you were and what you felt like when you did something or learnt something, but you need to remeber every little detail from birth to now to tell you why you are at this point in you life, why you are like you are and why you think the way you do. It is the same with past life regression, bits and pieces of a life or lives really doesn't tell the whole story (maybe that is why Michel was shown ALL his past lives in full). I can remeber a lot of my past lives the same way I remeber the past in this life, a place or object will trigger a memory. I'm not sure why my higher self has allowed me to remeber but it as it used to scare hell out of me as a kid (as I remebered traumatic times eg. Death) To this point past life memories opens up more questions than gives answers, other than entertainment value (eg. I lived in X time in Y country on this planet as a Soldier).
And with more time spent dwelling in the past takes you away from living in the now. Remeber Michel wrote "Maybe one day I will write a book on my past lives" but did he do this or continue his spiritual journey?
Vesko

Reliving a trauma in a past life as a compassionate observer of oneself has helped people in more than one case. In addition, past lives can make it clearer exactly what it is that you need to do in this life. It doesn't mean you can't figure it only based on information in this life, but it is a tool to better understand. That is why I don't think we should write off past life regression.
I've found "Past Lives, Future Healing" by Sylvia Browne a very good book.
She went the extra step and verified many of her patients' stories in state/city records if, for example, the person happened to have a past life in the nineteenth century.
But even when she was not able to verify the stories, the very curing of problems resulting from reliving of a traumatic experience (as a compassionate observer of oneself) had been a proof in itself for the effectiveness of past life regression. If in those cases (most of them), the stories were made up, they would not be able to help the person in question, would they? Try making up an elaborate story about a purported past life that makes you feel permanently better -- it simply won't work.
As with all psychic abilities, it could be a source of distorted information due to insufficient training (leading to stray thoughts), insufficient mental energy etc.
In any case, IMHO one better start doing such activities only after mastering relaxation, meditation and concentration. That would save a lot of confusion.
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Meedan

There are a few different ways in which making up your past life story can make you happier. For example, the psychological projection of issues you need to deal with (I've forgotten the actual psychology term). Your 'subconscious' mind holds/remembers all of your deep problems. When unconsciously creating a story, these issues can be unknowingly projected into the story, allowing you to overcome problems that you didn't know you had, or looking at problems from a different perspective.

Many psychiatrists use a technique similar to this, asking their patient to create a story, picture or even music to allow for this kind of projection.
With Love
Vesko

But why if this is the same approach, those people could not be cured by traditional psychologists who tried everything, including self-suggestions and imagination? In many cases described in the book, Sylvia Browne is met or phoned by close friends of hers -- traditional psychologists, telling tell her (although they hate doing so) that she is their last hope for patients unable to be cured for many months or years of psychiatric sessions. Subsequently, she cures them in a single 1-hour session by this so-called regression! Whatever it is, traditional psychology does not use it -- recently (a week ago) I had the chance to talk to a young psychologist, who currently practices in a real hospital and finishes her studies as a clinical psychologist. When she told me that she was very enthusiastic about Sigmund Freud's psychoanalytical work, I asked her if she believed that Freud actually returned his subjects to past moments of their current lives, including fetal memories. Her reply was positive. I then asked if she knew there were some people able to do the same but beyond their current lives. Her reply was that there were psychologists who CONSIDER this to be true (note the word -- not KNOW, but CONSIDER), but she DOES NOT CONSIDER this to be true. Her both replies were in a convincing, expert-like voice. I tried to object momentarily, without any hard phrases, but had to quickly say OK and drop the subject. However, I must admit that I was very frustrated, I felt powerless to put forth any arguments, and in moments like this I start blaming myself for perhaps missing a chance, a word, that might change someone's view on this.
By the way, I find it notable that Michel's book gives us concrete information which chakras are involved the most in a particular psychic ability. In the case of past life regression, those are the third eye and the solax plexus.
Do you REALLY practice meditation? If your REALLY do, do you practice a GOOD method? Are you sure this is REALLY so?
Meedan

Obviously I can't comment on any particular case, since I don't know the details. I'll just reiterate that I'm sure it is no where near all past life regressions that may be imaginary. It's just that the mind can do incredible things under hypnosis - such as coming up with stories, 'channeling', etc, all unconsciously. I have also heard of past life regressions which sound very 'typical', as if the subconscious mind has used information learnt in high school history, with a few errors of course.

I am sure that a large percentage of people who have had hypnotic regression have really seen past lives. Self-hypnosis, or meditation would be the more reliable method though, since you don't have an expectant instructor guiding you along, with suggestions that provoke the creative parts of your mind.
With Love
Vesko

Meedan wrote:Obviously I can't comment on any particular case, since I don't know the details. I'll just reiterate that I'm sure it is no where near all past life regressions that may be imaginary. It's just that the mind can do incredible things under hypnosis - such as coming up with stories, 'channeling', etc, all unconsciously. I have also heard of past life regressions which sound very 'typical', as if the subconscious mind has used information learnt in high school history, with a few errors of course.
Agree! In fact, the objectivity of anything coming "from the other side" is dependent on the ability of the person receiving it. In this area, stray thoughts can mould the objective perception into a completely subjective one. Good teachers and doctors can help us, but only to a limit. No wonder so many mediums, channelers and prophets don't get much real-world data from their "inspirations." They are nowhere as trained as what is described regarding the abilities of the people of Thiaoouba in Michel's book. Most of our so-called psychics are trying to warn us about catastrophies all the time for the simple reason that disasters and wars are the easiest to pick up from the psychosphere -- there's so much of it happening constantly, and too much related thoughts in people's heads (violence breeds violence), yet those psychics are unable to accurately predict even such events. And we should leave alone the 500 year old Nostradamus at last!
I am sure that a large percentage of people who have had hypnotic regression have really seen past lives. Self-hypnosis, or meditation would be the more reliable method though, since you don't have an expectant instructor guiding you along, with suggestions that provoke the creative parts of your mind.
And no instructor would like to do the same on you hundreds of times :). I think that if I am to learn to avoid any subjective experiences in practicing any psychic ability, I must eventually train all by myself. The Book takes this stance too: that one does not need to go to another place, that the most beautiful temple of man is inside himself/herself...
Last edited by Vesko on Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thanks guys for your intelligent analysis. I think I might keep it as a 'future goal' rather than a pressing need. I'll also try and keep an open mind that not everything seen in a past-life regression may be accurate, but there will be a lot of good hints.

Lachie
Leo

Just a little side comment to my previous post on this subject...

I was contemplating the life and teachings of J.C. the other day, and thought I would meditate and concentrate on it, trying to learn more about the truth of his teachings. I was taken back to a past life I lived in the time of J.C. In fact I spent time with the Thiaooubian version, in jail awaiting excecution. As we all know the favoured way of excecution in that time was crucifixtion. I remeber talking with him and a feeling of calm went through myself and all that was there with him. This calmness continued until I was excecuted.

This got me thinking about the purpose of past life memories and my own experiences and T.P. When I was reading T.P. and some of the history Thao and 'her' friends told Michel. I remeber keeping an open mind and saying yes I can remeber that. ie I remeber the pyramid of Savanasa, the statues as they stood along roads, seeing the tall blonde women that walked amonst the normal heighted people. Seeing faces of the people that always smiled and were happy. I there fore concluded that in fact I lived a life in Mu. As I KNEW as soon as I read the relevent passages in T.P. I knew it was correct. Other parts of the book I felt the same way. A lot of the book I could not give a definate yes I know or not.

This to me verifies that the history part and other parts of T.P. is correct. Others may have felt the same when reading T.P. about sertain things written in the book, but never realized why they felt they knew it was true.

Maybe some past life memories are more useful, than I first thought, to my concious mind. I have decided to try and study my own past to verify more about my own spirituality, things I know is true, things I have yet to learn, where I am now and which direction to head in the future.

Maybe I am wrong about past lives, maybe I am right or maybe I'm somewhere in between, who knows? maybe me in time, and maybe you too :D

Love to all :)
They have eyes, but they do not see - ears, but they do not hear...
Yothu

There is an archive of self-hypnosis recordings available > DOWN

You can find there a "Past Life Regression" recording in MP3 format and more [edit: not anymore; contact me].

I've tried the past life regression recording several times now. When I first listened to it while sitting comfortably I dozed away for it got me very relaxed. I had very fascinating results with some of these recordings. I am convinced that hypnosis is a very powerful tool.

The most outstanding experience I had with one recording was that I got connected with myself again. It was like hugging my inner child again, loving it, caressing it again. When in hypnosis and while experiencing the reunion I felt a warm feeling at the level of my sacral chakra, just below the navel but within my body. It seemed like it was the center of my being in that moment. It was a remarkable.

Another thing I experienced was with the same recording. While in hypnosis I felt a wave of weird feelings coming up from my heart. Feelings that occasionally erupted before while in a very relaxed state. It felt like spikes and vorteces. Now, after I released quite some of these emotions that were stucked up in my heart I came out of the self-hypnotic state and noticed that I could see better. This thrilled me very much for I only experienced such phenomena in summer when directly absorbing sunlight into my eyes. I assume I was able to see a 20% better than before. Although this improvement was only temporary. I guess I could literally not believe it.

With another self-hypnosis tape I got into slight theta when my brow chakra began to work diligently. I experienced visions, like in dreams, but more lucid. There was no audio, only people and scenery. I remember a person moving his hand in front of my face, just like some gesture.

Of course, experiences may vary from person to person, and from time to time. I am doing these self-hypnosis sessions daily now - you can guess, I am really fascinated - and I believe I can now easier fall into trance than before. I have somewhat learned how to move from one trance state into the other by just saying mentally "I am in Alpha now". From that point I may go deeper down if I wish.

Ah, well, the "Past Life Regression" recording states that it may bring you back to two of your past lifes, for you to better comprehend your reason for existing now in this life of yours.

Have phun!

edited by Yothu 23/04/06: removed the link to "Hypnosis Archive" which is down
Last edited by Yothu on Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got.
Vesko

Hello Yothu,

Interesting to read about your experiences.
yothu wrote:Another thing I experienced was with the same recording. While in hypnosis I felt a wave of weird feelings coming up from my heart. Feelings that occasionally erupted before while in a very relaxed state. It felt like spikes and vorteces. Now, after I released quite some of these emotions that were stucked up in my heart I came out of the self-hypnotic state and noticed that I could see better. This thrilled me very much for I only experienced such phenomena in summer when directly absorbing sunlight into my eyes. I assume I was able to see a 20% better than before. Although this improvement was only temporary. I guess I could literally not believe it.
Yothu, I deduce you do not have perfect eyesight. I don't have, either and I have to wear glasses regularly. I am farsighted. Your vision improvement came out thanks to a certain relaxation, right? Relaxation is a part of the Bates method (http://www.seeing.org) I found out about quite recently. I barely know something about it but from reading the official site and pages from other sites, I can definitely say that there is a good chance it is true and I'll give it a try because it does not involve any invasive treatment. Imagine that: I've been using and thinking wrongly about my eyesight for many years. If you are interested, you can read the FAQ (spans multiple pages): http://www.seeing.org/intro/faq/faq01.htm. Here's a bit from it:
If you strain to see, the eye muscles become tense, the eye does not move freely and the retina becomes desensitised. In the early stages of a visual problem, it may be quite easy to let go of the strain: if it has become a habit over years it may be very difficult to let go. That is why so many optometrists believe that the eye is fixed and vision does not change.

Relaxation of the eyes does not mean vaguely staring into space: it means using the eyes properly, looking at everything in detail and with full attention, but without strain. People who see normally do this as a matter of course: people who have had trouble seeing for years may find it quite difficult to learn.
We start with simple exercises in relaxation - to learn the difference between strain and relaxation. From there we can progress to learning to recognise the ways in which we defeat ourselves in the attempt to see and to overcome them by learning how to keep the mind in contact with what we are looking at while keeping the eyes relaxed.

We also use movement exercises to further develop relaxation and to help the eyes relearn the natural movement patterns that are vital for central fixation.
Do optometrists teach the Bates method?

Generally, no, for a number of reasons.
  • 1. Most optometrists learn in college that nothing can be done to improve vision

2. Optometrists are trained to measure vision in a fixed way and to prescribe glasses.

Bates teachers are more interested in people than in eyes, and work in an educational way.

Knowledge of education is more relevant than experience in medicine.

3. For the few optometrists who are aware of the value of the method it is still impossible for them to use it properly. The financial structure of an optometry practice means that an optometrist needs to see 3 or 4 patients an hour and preferably to sell all of them some glasses. Many will work directly or indirectly for optical companies, or have set up their business with big loans: they simply cannot afford to do it.
This site also seems a valuable resource: http://www.central-fixation.com.

I hope that helps you and others; I do intend to study it and try it in the future.

I have also read some harsh critique against the method, but still it does not convince me not to try this safe method.
Have phun!
Phun? Hey, you are starting to remember another phat language! ;) (phat = slang for cool, also "pretty, hot and tempting" ) ;)

Take care,
Vesko
Yothu

Vesko wrote:
Have phun!
Phun? Hey, you are starting to remember another phat language! ;) (phat = slang for cool, also "pretty, hot and tempting" ) ;)
LOL Image
Vesko wrote: (http://www.seeing.org) I found out about quite recently. I barely know something about it but from reading the official site and pages from other sites, I can definitely say that there is a good chance it is true and I'll give it a try because it does not involve any invasive treatment. Imagine that: I've been using and thinking wrongly about my eyesight for many years. If you are interested, you can read the FAQ (spans multiple pages): http://www.seeing.org/intro/faq/faq01.htm.

This site also seems a valuable resource: http://www.central-fixation.com.

I hope that helps you and others; I do intend to study it and try it in the future.

I have also read some harsh critique against the method, but still it does not convince me not to try this safe method.
As usual you have quite some valuable sources of information up your sleeve. I'll check it out, particularly central-fixation seems intriguing.

I found out about the Bates method quite some time ago and tried some of its exercises. You'll laugh but I had problems with palming. I could not hold my hands up long enough. Either sitting or lying. I know, it should be simple, but I cannot imagine how somebody's able to palm his eyes for more than 10 minutes without straining his arms.
A different thing is when somebody else is palming your eyes. Well, I could imagine that my hands may rest on somebody's eyes longer than 10 min... (not because it is that pleasant for me but my arms may be loose)

What this FAQ says about straining the eyes is exactly what I perceive. When I take off my glasses on sunny days I see in details but cannot bear the light. My eyelids and muscles around my eyes start to spasm involuntarily. What I've heard is that this is their way to relax (?). I have a hard time to keep them fully opened. It is really a hard job relaxing the tiny eye muscles and let light flood into my eyes at the same time.

I thought about invasive treatment a lot, especially during the last months. What keeps me from doing it now is that I do not fully trust these techniques like LASIK and such.
I have the feeling that my eyes are working perfectly well, but that I - the operator - isn't handling them correctly.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got.