Weather changing near you..

Discussion on preserving Nature: preventing the pollution, destruction and disbalancing of the finely-tuned natural ecosystems on our planet.

Moderator: Moderators

survivor

Weather changing near you..

#This thread is to discuss weather changes in your country and what your government is doing about it.

Here in Australia we are experiencing a drought. Our (drinking) water dams are very low. We have been encouraged to install water tanks with a small rebate from the government.

Today on the front page of a leading newspaper is a report that the federal government is proposing to taxpeople who collect rain water. (that is the craziest thing I've ever heard off)
THE Bracks Government is outraged at a leaked federal proposal to tax rainwater collected from roofs.

The idea was revealed in a leaked email seen by the Sunday Herald Sun.

Acting Premier John Thwaites yesterday warned that if water was privatised -- as proposed by some federal Liberals -- a tax on rainwater in tanks would follow.
http://www.news.com.au/sundayheraldsun/ ... 61,00.html
an act against {free will} is an act against nature
Zio

Zio wrote:Here, in Quebec, there was NO SNOW ON CHRISTMAS!! I've never saw that before >_>. It just snowed today (26th december)... this is serious, because last year it was totally the contrary...
Yepyep, no snow. The worst is that there had been NO MAJOR SNOWING from the 26th december to the 14th of January. Just today, we had a snow storm :D And it's the first time I'm REALLY happy seeing that. naturally, we have snow beginning of december... Our Gouvernment didn't signed Kyoto :S
what your government is doing about it.
Nothing. They always promise, never do it. "We will reduce the pollution level!" And when they are elected, "Ah, we can arrange that tomorrow" >.>
Rezo

how does the australian government propose to go about taxing rainwater collection? Indeed this doesnt sound good at all. It hasnt snowed here in NJ all winter long. However last few days theres been plenty of fog here, lots of rain the past month too.

Just last thursday or so it was actually 75 deg fahrenheit, for one day. Normally Im wearing gloves and a big parka coat outside this time of year.

Our house and other neighbors houses are flooded but I think part of that is due to the soil erosion caused by many people deciding to have additional floors higher up, putting more stress on the foundation. Also, I think commercial fertilizers weaken the dirt, and mismanaging soil and water, mold prevention methods also waste a lot of money in trying ot fix these things. There are cheaper and safer methods, we had a guy come by to do it this way, but even then its still a lot of $ to do. Recently I came across a concept called 'retractable downspout extenders'. Interesting stuff.

Our corner of our backyard is pretty much a swamp now. Geographically, theres the passaic river watershed in my general area -- http://www.passaicriver.org/watershedissues.htm. This issue affects ppl in new jersey, and lower new york. [water management, ground set aside to absorb rainfall]. Hopefully it hasnt all been paved over yet. I dont think it has.
brettmtl

It is crazy, I am in Melbourne as well and the policy on taxing rainwater doesn't suprise me.

The irony of it is that they have allowed the logging of rainforest and water catchments to continue and now they are reaping what they sow.

Drought and Mother nature is blamed.

But there are solutions http://www.air2water.net/
Do you think this is what they have on Thiaoouba
Unfortunatley these devices upset water companies and shareholders.yeah :D

Though it is inevitable that these devices will become mainstream.
Rezo

Im sorry, but that is too cool! I mean, air....to water! Why not? happens in nature all the time....

I bet thats what they have, but how does air2water work? electrically [on the grid] or is it something else? Im not very familiar w/how UV filtration actually works. I mean, is it like a photochemical reaction?
brettmtl

I am not exactly too sure either, but it would be based on nature. I think it would have to do with temperature and humidity. They do say the higher the humidity the better these devices work :)

If you look at a forest at night or your car after a cold night, there will be moisture on the surface, which will form into droplets.

They have obviously applied and quickened this process.

I feel for farmers and their crops and livestock in the middle of a drought.
They make these devices big enough to produce 5,000 litres a day and these combined with solar panels, would provide much relief. :D Sounds like a good business idea.

It does sound too cool but, hey why not
ptex

Just a small clarification regarding this air2water device: there's nothing really special about it although when someone looks at it for the first time can become very enthusiastic about it and assume it's a great breakthrough.

Ever heard about dehumidifiers? Quoted from wikipedia: They "usually work by drawing moist air over a refrigerated plastic coil with a small fan. Since the saturation vapor pressure of water decreases with decreasing temperature, the water in the air condenses, and drips into a collecting bucket."

Where I live we have tremendously humid weather, so we use dehumidifiers a lot and that's right, they condense the humidity from the air into water (of course we don't drink it, with time the tubes and collection bucket can become quite saturated with bacteria, since there's no maintenance for the device itself). The air2water device only adds 2 additional components to make the water safe to drink: an ultra-violet lamp and 3 additional filters.

Air conditioned when cooling air, can have a similar effect as dehumidifiers (ever watched those external air conditioned units in the summer dripping?).

Also if you think that the air2water is enough and autonomous? check their site and calculate the investment in those filter replacement's over a period of let's say 5 years...

;)
The best portion of a good man's life is his little nameless unremembered acts of kindness and love.
~William Wordsworth
brettmtl

That is great you have been using something similar and yes it is nothing new.

I think it provides hope and an alternative for people with no access to water.

In Australia we have been in a drought for over 5 years, with many rivers bone dry and farmers having to shoot their livestock because of no rain. Many towns and cities are on water restrictions, some are even drinking recycled water. You do know what that means. There is even talk of setting up billion$ desalinisation plants

Now like any technology there will be a cost and maintenance involved. I just think it provides a wonderful opportunity, especially when the Australian government is giving hundreds of millions$ to farmers in drought assisstance. Surely they could subsidise these products and enable farmers and people to have access to clean, fresh, drinking water :)
Aisin

In Malaysia, the southern states of Johor & Melaka in Peninsular Malaysia (West Malaysia) is experiencing a second happening of flood, the first happened last month around & after 26 Dec 06. The direct cause of the flood was unusual & abrupt increase in rain volume, continuous heavy rain over a few days.

Somewhere between Malaysia & Australia... In Indonesia, Jakarta which is located at north Java, is experiencing drought, with processed water production going down to 68% of the normal rate.
Robanan

No snow in Ukraine too, the weather is constantly changing, and it's not even as cold as it was supposed to be.

Roses blossomed, Trees lost their leaves but didn't go to winter sleep. The grass is still there, all green. :(
soulrider

Rezo wrote:how does the australian government propose to go about taxing rainwater collection? Indeed this doesnt sound good at all...
It's not a good idea at all, but our Aussie Gov. aint that clever either :roll:

From what I've heard, once you install your water catchment tank, you can get a rebate from the gov. for being a good natural citizen, BUT, they're now aware of your tank size, roof catchment size etc. You will be tax per sq. metre of roof catchment/tank/rainfall...

Something like that... I'm not very happy as I'm in the process of hooking one up myself. I will still do it, but notify NO-ONE from local council or gov. :x
Always remember you're unique, like everybody else.
ptex

I don't believe this is for real! The idea is simply too absurd and may very well be a gossip launched by a media declining in audience which needs a temporary boost.

Next thing we'll hear about will be taxing people for the air they breathe based on the lung volume and average respiratory habits of its citizens... Yoga and breathing technique practioners... you better watch-out :lol:
The best portion of a good man's life is his little nameless unremembered acts of kindness and love.
~William Wordsworth
Alisima

ptex wrote:Yoga and breathing technique practioners... you better watch-out :lol:
Actually that is wrong. Maybe during training they may consume more air, but the whole point of the yogi's is to consume LESS air, for they believe that every living being has a certain number of breaths and then it is over, death.
Don't read my signature.
soulrider

Alisima wrote:
ptex wrote:Yoga and breathing technique practioners... you better watch-out :lol:
Actually that is wrong. Maybe during training they may consume more air, but the whole point of the yogi's is to consume LESS air, for they believe that every living being has a certain number of breaths and then it is over, death.
True, & clever!

I get the joke though ptex :wink: :lol: :lol:

"Apparently" a couple of councils in Victoria, Aus. have already implimented it :? :shock: [I'm trying to find out if this is correct or not]
Always remember you're unique, like everybody else.
survivor

ptex wrote:I don't believe this is for real! The idea is simply too absurd and may very well be a gossip launched by a media declining in audience which needs a temporary boost.
Ptex, If you would be familiar by how our local (australian) councils heavily tax the citizens, then you would NOT find it hard to believe.

Soulrider, the 1st council who will probably implement this absurd tax will most likely be the City of Casey.

Currently Victoria (australia) is in stage3 water restrictions [see below], and for obvious reasons ~ (we are in a drought).

*Manual Dripper Systems

-Manual dripper systems can be used between 6am - 8am and 8pm - 10pm*.

*Automatic Dripper Systems

-Automatic dripper systems between midnight - 4am*.

*Hand-held Trigger Hose

-Hand-held hoses fitted with a trigger nozzle can be used to water gardens between 6am - 8am and 8pm - 10pm*.

*Vehicle Washing

-Hand-held hoses or high pressure cleaning devices cannot be used for vehicle washing, at any time. A bucket filled from a tap can be used to clean windows, mirrors and lights; and spot-remove corrosive substances. A commercial car wash can be used.

*Even numbered houses can water on Saturday and Tuesday; odd numbered can water on Sunday and Wednesday. There is no watering on Monday, Thursday and Friday.

*Pools and Spas

-New pools or spas of any capacity cannot be filled. Before filling an existing pool or spa consult your water authority.

*Penalties and Enforcement

-Stage 3 water restrictions must be followed and water patrols are out in force across Melbourne. If you are issued with a warning notice and still breach the restrictions, you may have your water supply restricted or face prosecution.
an act against {free will} is an act against nature