Bee deaths

Discussion on preserving Nature: preventing the pollution, destruction and disbalancing of the finely-tuned natural ecosystems on our planet.

Moderator: Moderators

Rezo

Bee deaths

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070211/ap_on_sc/dying_bees

what could it be? Pesticides, or GM crops they pollinated and brought back to the hives? We seem to forget about how important these little guys are to the ecosystem.
ptex

Those are serious news :(
I wonder what happened myself as these little fellows have a direct overall impact in our lives.

I often thought that honeybee colonies should be present in any initiative regarding sustainability: I can't reinforce the importance and value these animals have for us and all other animals in the ecosystem.

Is anyone aware if Tom has got any of such colonies in Mount Best?
The best portion of a good man's life is his little nameless unremembered acts of kindness and love.
~William Wordsworth
ShahKorR

Mysterious Bird Deaths

Greetings ladies and gentlmen!

There are also the mysterious bird deaths here in Australia(Esperence,W.A) where thousands of birds of all species have fallen out of the sky dead. Apparantly it has happened in america as well. I think i heard there now blaiming some sort of toxin for the deaths in W.A. Poor birds :(

Article appear in Nexus and newdawn as wel as main stream papers or a quick net search if you want to follow this up.
When goodness grows weak,
When evil increases,
I make myself a body.
In every age I come back
To deliver the holy,
To destroy the sin of the sinner,
To establish righteousness.

~ Bhagavad Gita
Rezo

how credible is the chemtrail theory? Or is it nonsense? There are some people who sometimes even see black being sprayed, like the natives first seeing the ships finally after never noticing them at first - whoa thats something else though. Ill check out nexus.

1st of all theres no way the black trails are anything I can believe, w/o seeing them myself, and 2nd of all it seems logical if chemtrails are going on in large quantities, which they seem to be [i know where I used to live people called those who believed in chemtrails to be 'nuts' -- and I went to school for alternative medicine!] then birds would have a problem, and anything that gets around by flying itself, I'd imagine, would as well.

few years ago in nj when they said we were getting west nile virus in mosquitos, they sprayed for bugs [sky spraying but not chemtrails as we hear about, at least not that i noticed] a LOT. they advised people to stay inside during certain hours I mean --- birds yes but likely a big problem for people here, myself included. Although I havent noticed anything out of the 'orinary' symptomwise since then or during, that I havent experienced before the mosquito spraying. Chemicals used were mainly organophosphates: these are [many forms of organophosphates btw] the insecticides used on cows that are said by many researchers to be a very strong contributor to BSE in cows. A list of what was in the mosquito-cide sprays:

http://www.nypirg.org/mosquito.html

this happened back in '99.

Obviously few people enjoy the company of mosquitos but, that cant be good to breathe! I went to the town meeting about it - they made it seem pertinent to use these chems of course, "what else to use" theyd have said? Obviously someone had to profit from this.
Andreas

ptex wrote:Is anyone aware if Tom has got any of such colonies in Mount Best?
Yes, a couple of hives. But they are wild bees, so they aren't very friendly and I suspect that they are a bit lower in honey production than yellow honey bees.

/Andreas
NJones

Another theory on the cause of this is cell phone radiation:

http://news.independent.co.uk/environme ... 449968.ece

and a worrying quote from this article:
Albert Einstein once said that if the bees disappeared, "man would have only four years of life left".
Zio

Thanks for the link NJones :)

It is logically true that if bees dissappear, we're doomed in 4 years, because even in Thiaoouba they have bees (presuming they use honey to make hydromel, which is the only drink we read in TP). I've read books that talks about bees, and I can conclude that they are an advanced specie because of their organisation. Even in the Bible, they say: "In the Land of Honey and Milk".

I know nothing about how phones and cellphones work, are they different? What about a wireless homephone? Cellphones transmit waves, and I think wired homephone transmit the information by the cable, which does not produce radiations, no?
Rezo

I would think its actually those large cell towers that are doing it, which of course come from the use of phones themselves, but do these towers also put out a bunch of other power as well? Also our wireless internet networks [wi-fi] if it is a cellphone related thing. Sorry dont know about cellphones, also wanted to ask this question, and add some things Ive learned. I virtually never use mine [however am a frequent internet user]. Only use my cell it if I absolutely need to, which only happened once or twice. Historically Ive read this bee problem happened in late 1890s and again in the 1960s, and they didnt know why it happened then either. Today its different mainly b/c of the noticably larger quantity of bees, and how far out the problem goes geographically.

Certain flowers that bees pollinate as reports say, have also been given various insecticides, and they pollinate cornflowers [I think?] and of course many corn at least in the US is genetically manipulated. One other theory is superbug parasitism in the bees guts due to the varroa mite [wildflowers], and the wax moth, near beehives. The problem w/figuring it all out might be just that theres too many variables. But I think, would tower personell/cell phone companies really turn off cellphones to save bees, or just keep going? Unless they can develop cellphone modifications, but this type of research probably would take time, w/all the hoops to jump through, so likely theyll just keep them powered on.

I have heard that bats also pollinate, just not in as long distances as bees. And of course wind is a pollen carrier in shorter distances for certain plants. If the bee problem cant be solved at best our diets will change in an obvious way, and technology for pollinating would need to be produced [?].
InfoSource

From what I've been reading the cell phone radiation theory has been discredited and the latest news is, it appears a fungus is causing the disappearance of the bees

http://www.latimes.com/news/la-sci-bees ... storylevel
A fungus that caused widespread loss of bee colonies in Europe and Asia may be playing a crucial role in the mysterious phenomenon known as Colony Collapse Disorder that is wiping out bees across the United States, UC San Francisco researchers said Wednesday.
Rezo

Re: Bee deaths

More recent information, suggests that a parasitic fly, deposits eggs into bees that tend to forage more at night, creating 'zombie' bees:

http://news.discovery.com/animals/paras ... 10512.html